Ordered White Morel spores...now what?

Whitesburg, TN(Zone 6b)

I just ordered a vial/syringe of spores for the White Morel. To save on shipping, I also ordered spores for Portabella, Yellow Oyster, and Reishi mushrooms. I have been an organic gardener since I was five years old helping my organic gandening mother, so I am confident that I can grow the other three varieties. So, my questions are for anyone who has had success growing Morels. I chose the white version because I heard it was the easiest of the Morels to grow. I live in East TN and I know Morels grow wild around here. A guy I work with hunts them, but will not share or tell me where he hunts :) Not that I blame him. So, here goes...

Bear in mind, I have five acres to use, three are wooded with several different types of hardwood trees.

1. What is the best way to prepare a 'bed' for these mushrooms?

2. What is the best way to deliver the spores to the bed?

3. What kind of maintenance is needed (watering, weeding, mulching, etc) before the Morels begin to appear?

Any help is greatly appreciated. The spores I ordered have a shelf life of two months, so I have time to do what I need to do. I just need to know what to do.

Thanks all!
Mike

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Mike, if you are able to document your progress with photos, I'd love to see them. :)

Whitesburg, TN(Zone 6b)

I will be documenting my progress and will be posting it in detail here on Dave's Garden. Unfortunately, I will not know until next year if it worked or not. So, this is a long term project. This will take a lot of planning, and even then...no guarantees.

Thank you for the links Kay. Very helpful.

Clarksville, MD

Where did you order from? I've been obsessing about growing morels ever since a friend told be she has a spot in her yard where she found them growing, so jealous! I was wondering if I could make a grow bed and keep it under my deck? Has anyone had luck growing morels?

Whitesburg, TN(Zone 6b)

I ordered from Ralphsters Spores. Here is a link to the exact page since their search feature is not reliable. http://www.ralphstersspores.com/USA/index.php?cPath=10&&page=4 When you order, you can ask them for their strain-of-the-month and they will send you a free syringe of spores. I was hoping to get a free edible, but they sent me a 'magic' sample. The page that talks about the SOTM is: http://www.ralphstersspores.com/USA/faq.php?cID=7

I am still in limbo on the morel bed. We have been having hard rain here and I work 7 days a week. These two in combination are really cutting back on my outside time. As soon as the weather mellows out I will begin. I am documenting by photograph every step and will post it here as a journal.

Mike

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Mike, if you have access to whole tree leaves, sow the spores in among the leaves, just as they are in nature - they won't get washed away.

Whitesburg, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks Kay, great idea. I see you are in FL. Do morels grow down there?

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

I've never seen any here, but mostly because I don't go into the wooded areas, due to ticks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.