Can old privet be revitalised by deep pruning?

CREZIERES, France(Zone 8a)

Hi,
I have an ancient privet hedge (4ft high) that has seen better days. Sorry no pic as the camera is not working at present. It has gone spindly as a result, I think, of poor soil low in nutrients. There is little low level growth , it being top heavy. I was thinking of cutting it down to about a foot to encourage new and more vigorous growth.
Would that work?

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

If it is anything like the privet we used to have you can cut it to the ground and it will come back with a vengeance. The only way we got rid of it was to finally dig the root-ball(s) up.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/62891/

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Yes! Hcmcdole is on the money.

I just finished the Illinois Extension Master Gardening program, and we spent a lot of time talking about this subject. Here are excerpts from an article on its website:

Rejuvenation pruning involves cutting all stems down to near ground level; leaving short stubs. This method is useful when a shrub has become overgrown with many stems massed together. Among the shrubs that respond well to rejuvenation include Anthony Waterer spirea, honeysuckle, beautybush, Indian currant, snowberry, and privet. Larger, older shrubs should not be rejuvenated in late spring or summer. Early spring is preferred for most.

Finally, with hedges such as privet, prune them so that the lower portions are wider than the upper, so all leaves get equal light. This will help prevent the lower portions from dying out. Avoid pruning the side perpendicular to the ground or angling in toward the base. Hedges in poor shape should be rejuvenated and the new growth then pruned properly.

Here is the whole article:

http://urbanext.illinois.edu/stateline/010405.html

That's brilliant. Time to get lopping! Thanks a lot.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Absolutely my pleasure!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

assuming of course that it is still getting decent sun, not overgrown by trees as is my nearby declining privet hedge. Just thought I'd mention that.

There is no real light issue with it. It IS on the northern side of the house, but, except in winter, it is far enough away to get 8-10 hours of sun/cloudshine per day. (I say cloudshine as it is in Belfast, Northern Ireland, not the sunniest spot on the planet.)
There may be some kind of issue relating to nutrition, however, as the worst part of the hedge is that closest to a fairly large lime tree in the adjacent street. But, basically, I figure that if it is cut right back, whatever growth that follows will at least be at a height that will make it bushier than it is now!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

sounds great!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.