homemade chicken feed

Boynton Beach, FL

hi everyone. i want to know any infos on what you feed your chickens naturally on your land or what they find and eat themselves

i grow vegetables, so of course they eat off of all of the scraps i give them. property is also filled with lots of other plant life, herbs and weeds. they especially like the clover patches that put up small purple flowers. they will devour every part of them including the flower.

just recently i noticed they like the seeds of carrotwood trees. i am wandering if these are safe for them to consume in high amounts.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

A few folks on this forum raise chickens, and I hope to do so maybe next year if I can get some fencing up. My many weeds include chickweed, which chickens love. (It's also an edible human food.)

my chickens eat hay, scraps, and chicken layer feed.
don't know about the carrotwood seed.
i also feed them cooked egg yolks or left over scrambled eggs. for some extra protien
pumpkins and corn in the fall/ winter.
watermelon in summer.
grass clippings in spring along with lots of dandylions and other weeds.
hope that helps.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

A skunk killed my whole flock in 2 nights so I don't currently have chickens. Sure miss them. I couldn't let mine free range because of predators here but I fed them all our kitchen and garden scraps and a 50/50 mix of scratch grain and laying pellets. I also pulled grass, clover and weeds for them.

Welcome to the forum. Hope you chime in on other subjects too. We all love getting new ideas.

Boynton Beach, FL

Quote from darius :
A few folks on this forum raise chickens, and I hope to do so maybe next year if I can get some fencing up. My many weeds include chickweed, which chickens love. (It's also an edible human food.)[/quote]

thx for input i will look up chickweed.

Quote from taynors :
my chickens eat hay, scraps, and chicken layer feed.
don't know about the carrotwood seed.
i also feed them cooked egg yolks or left over scrambled eggs. for some extra protien
pumpkins and corn in the fall/ winter.
watermelon in summer.
grass clippings in spring along with lots of dandylions and other weeds.
hope that helps.

thx for input that sounds good

[quote="CajuninKy"]A skunk killed my whole flock in 2 nights so I don't currently have chickens. Sure miss them. I couldn't let mine free range because of predators here but I fed them all our kitchen and garden scraps and a 50/50 mix of scratch grain and laying pellets. I also pulled grass, clover and weeds for them.

Welcome to the forum. Hope you chime in on other subjects too. We all love getting new ideas.

im sorry to hear that. that skunk would have been made into a throw rug in my house

thx all for input.

P.S. i realized that it's actually a bit premature carrotwood seeds that they like. they do not care too much for ripe ones even if you crush it for them.

also they will eat raw coconut meat right from the split shell. i got a bunch right now i picked in the wild. been giving them a good bit.

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Might be off topic a bit, Sorry!, but does anyone mix in Chili powder with their feed in the winter to keep them laying in the winter? My family has always had good egg production doing this.

Richmond, TX

Really? I've never heard that before - interesting.

I also find that interesting but cannot try it since I have no chickens. How much chili powder??

Richmond, TX

Does it flavor the eggs?

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

Doesnt flavor the eggs at all. About a pound per bag of feed. Chili Flakes work well too. Heres some more useful info, Cover the eggs in mineral oil and theyll keep for up to 6 mo in a cool basement.

I've coated eggs with lard and kept them for months in my root cellar.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I had never heard either of those tidbits. Thanks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.