Seeking Evergreen Vines (Hardiness Zone 9b,Heat Zone11)

la belle, FL(Zone 9b)

Finally we can start our first garden! I would love to have all kinds of evergreen vines but they are so hard to find for my area (Hardiness Zone 9b, Heat Zone 11). Most plants/seeds sold online are hybrids and NO evergreens any longer (it's not mentioned online, but I contacted a lot of companies selling vines online)

I checked the nurseries in my area and I might get one or two plants....not enough!

I'm thankful for any information about where to get evergreen vines (plants, seeds, cuttings) for my area.

Thanks!

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

What about varieties of Jasmins? In Gainesville I had Carolina Jasmin and it stayed evergreen and was beautiful all year long- fragrant yellow flowers.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Allamanda blanchetii Violet Allamanda . 10 seeds An evergreen from Georgia vines , I wish I had a few to send to you. but this , somewhat out of area , I am browsing threads ,, be patient with me ..lol
Hope some folks can help you..

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

What about one of my favorites - Stigmaphyllon ciliatum - the real Butterfly Vine?
This plant takes Arizona 118 degree days in stride and still had blossoms after 3 days of 23 degree night time temps. My vine had a few leaves that were slightly crinkled on the edges and that was it. The seeds of this plant look like bright green butterflies (although they turn brown as they mature). Look at plant files and you'll see some pics of my vine (and my hand) http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/92246/

Thumbnail by allgr8dogs
la belle, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks for the all helpful answers!
The Carolina Jasmine might not survive the heat in the south Florida inland - It looks great and is doing well closer to the coast here in south Florida. But other Jasmines are on my list!

I put the Butterfly vine and the Allamanda on my list - I wasn't sure if the Butterfly Vine would make it in heat zone 11 - but if it's doing fine in Arizona, it should make it here!

Thanks for the information!

(Can wait to start my first real garden!)

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Just wanted to mention that I got my Butterfly vine as a rooted cutting from someone who was growing it in Florida, so it should do well there.

la belle, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks! It's on my list now!

mulege, Mexico

Horizon Herbs has seeds for Hawiian baby woodrose.. I have one plant from seeds I got from them several years ago. It makes a HUGE (this is a warning) plant with evergreen heart shaped leaves. Having been warned about the size I planted mine where it can spread and make lots of shade without threatening other plants or my house. It doesn't bloom often but it's a great evergreen shade plant for a very hot spot. katie

Tyler, TX(Zone 8b)

how about these suggestions....

Dutchman's pipe
passiflora
chocolate vine
jade vine
vanilla bean
honeysuckle
gloriosa lily vine
kiwi fruit vine (there's a pretty variegated pink & green variety)
grapevines have pretty foliage if you can provide enough support

hope this helps......wish I lived in your zone, LOL

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Ditto what chellflower said about living in your zone...

Tyler, TX(Zone 8b)

...a couple more suggestions...

porcelain vine
pandorea vine

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

I winter in Cocoa Beach and could offer Evergreen vine Mango Allusion , maybe six plants for postage. We're leaving soon so would have to mail very soon.

la belle, FL(Zone 9b)

Quote from mittsy :
I winter in Cocoa Beach and could offer Evergreen vine Mango Allusion , maybe six plants for postage. We're leaving soon so would have to mail very soon.

Thanks for the offer Mittsy! Unfortunately, there is not shade at all on the property...I'm afraid the Mango Allusion won't make it there...

la belle, FL(Zone 9b)

To allgr8dogs and chellflower:
I wish I could stay here for winter like Mittsy and moving north in summer...It sounds nice but the summers are brutal...

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Summers are brutal in Phoenix, as well but at least your plants do well in the summer...I guess I shouldn't complain because there are some plants that do well here but I seem to yearn for those that don't do as well... When I retire I hope to move somewhere with less extremes...

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.