ID, pretty please :)

(Carisa) Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

I rescued about 7 clematis from an old area that I had no idea they were still in. There was a very, very, very annoying weed that came up and took over as well as sudden terrible drainage issues and I just ended up throwing up my hands and walking away, I was so frustrated. (Had just started a new job, too, so didn't have time nor energy for a battle). Three years later, now that things have settled down a bit (right!), I decided to rescue what I could from that area. I can't find the plan that I had at the time for that bed. I may have tossed it years ago, thinking I would never refer to it. Bottom line, I don't know which clematis was planted where. Here's what I do know. These are the clematis that I know I have purchased in the past:

Rebecca
Henryi
Marie Louise Jensen
Pink Champagne
Snow Queen
H F Young
Bourbon

There may very well be one or two that I am missing, so this list isn't exhaustive. I know from memory that I bought Bourbon and Rebecca, but don't seem to have a tag for them. I have two clems that are blooming already. Can I get some help IDing these? As the others bloom, I will post for them as well. There is probably only 5 different types. The others were runners that rooted themselves, so I just started a new pot with them. Thanks so much

Could this one be bourbon?

Thumbnail by funnthsun

and this one Pink Champagne, I'm pretty sure:

Thumbnail by funnthsun

I am trying to decide which one of all of the ones that I have rescued to put beside daniel deronda. It will have it's own trellis, but mingling is always a possibility.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Looks like you're right on both counts!

With Daniel's coloring you really can't go wrong with any of the others but Marie Louise Jensen would probably be a bit too much purple in one spot and wouldn't allow Marie to show off as she should.

Color is such a personal matter that all I can do is give you my opinion: I'd go with Pink Champagne since there is some purple in the PC and (for me) it would be a lovely match.

Here's my Bourbon so you can compare but I'm sure you're right.

Thumbnail by pirl

Thanks so much, pirl. I sprayed every little piece of dirt off of these rescued clems and pulled out every tiny piece of root that weren't clem roots that I could find woven into the clem roots. I do not want to bring that weed into my other beds, that's for sure! I have potted these up, to be sure I see nothing growing in the pots. They will probably spend spring and summer potted up and I will plant them in the fall, if they show no weeds. Sounds like a good plan to me, anyway.

I am really hoping Rebecca is one that I have saved, I would love that one beside Daniel, but it's too early to tell. I'm very happen Pink Champagne was one of them, though. I really like that one. I think I am going to need some temporary trellises for these guys until they finish being monitored. Any ideas? I don't want to spend much on something I'm not planning to use in the future.

Now, I need to go and find out what type these are, so that I group them accordingly.

You did a really great job! Leaving them potted through the summer is a very good idea for the reasons you mentioned.

Okay, for trellises that would be free and disposable - find some sturdy branches of trees that you can remove and place in the ground behind the clematises. Make sure they are devoid of side branches so you can drive them deeply into the ground.

I think they are all Class/group 2 but check anyhow and don't rely on this weary gardener's brain.

Pink Champagne is a gem!

Thumbnail by pirl

Here's what I meant by sturdy branches that would support the clematises.

You could also use a piece of clear vinyl netting and hook it up to an existing fence.

Thumbnail by pirl

Got another one opening, it looks like a light lavender. I'll post a pic in a couple of days when it's fully open. Looks too light for Marie Louise Jensen, but might be H F Young.

I'm wrong! Only the rolled outside of the petal was light lavender, the inside is very dark, so it may very well be Marie Louise Jensen, which I would be ever so happy about! Man, this waiting is killing me, it's like your a kid and it's two days before Christmas!

The excitement is such fun. Look at this one, Reiman, that was purple in spring but made a dramatic change by the end of November.

Thumbnail by pirl

Wow, that is a huge difference!

I am thinking about getting a different clematis to go beside Daniel Deronda b/c I don't think any of the possible ones that I have (other than Rebecca and who knows if I still have that one or not) will give the contrasting look that I want. I was thinking about Sieboldii. What do you think?

Thanks so much, Pirl, for all of your feedback!

I'll have to Google it.

Well, I knew the name rang a bell! I have bought it three times and it hates me but I love it. My friend, Zuzu, in California has it and it blooms so well for her.

You want to know what I think? It would be fantastic! Do it!

I can keep posting here since we're avatar free (so far). If the avatars arrive we can continue by Dmail if you wish. I'd be happy to help you though you're doing just fine. Keep up the good work!

I didn't check if Sieboldii is the same pruning class as Daniel. It just makes it much easier for pruning purposes when they are growing together and are the same class.

The clematis that was emerging a few days ago is definitely Marie Lousie Jensen. Dark purple with hot pink streaks, no mistaking that one. I still have two yet to bloom, but they are very small and not even near blooming, so the waiting begins.

I'm still trying to decide what to put beside Daniel Deronda. I did further research on Sieboldii and definitely not messing with that one, although I did consider trying Vienetta, since it is supposed to be an easier, hardier offspring of Sieboldii and looks similar. Still thinking about it.

Once again, my DG friend, Zuzu, has that one in California. I agree that Sieboldii, sometimes called florida Sieboldii, can be temperamental.

Check Brushwood's site for Utopia and also Morning Star. I think they are both beautiful and maybe one would be a good match for Daniel...or maybe not!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.