(GrannyGrunt) Donna Maize

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Donna Maize, known to us as Granny Grunt passed away on April 13th, 2013. She was a long-time member, having joined DG on April 10, 2007. Donna was a wildlife lover and was a huge part of our Bird Watching Forum. She had a great sense of humor and was known for her humorous captions on her bird pictures. Her photographer's instinct was excellent and she was very good at capturing the expressions and antics of her feathered friends.

Just like the rest of DG, our Birdwatching Forum is a close-knit group of friends who share much more than just bird information and she will be missed very much.

"I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance that I should have been by any epaulet I could have worn." ~Henry David Thoreau

We are using her azalea image for her photo, she was so proud of them.

Thumbnail by melody
Brisvegas, Australia(Zone 12b)

I never really knew GG.
But I have contributed a lot of Pictures to her Threads.
RIP Granny Grunt from a friend far far away.

kell.

Thumbnail by ginger749
Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

My prayers go out to the family.

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

There are a few of us from the bird watching forum who knew Donna quite well. Spending time on the phone or in person or skyping with her, we were always treated to something funny and wonderful. I feel for the rest of you who did not have the pleasure of knowing this amazing woman.

Donna was incredibly talented. She was an accomplished woodworker and artist. She was also a guitarist. But to me she was a generous and supportive friend who will be sorely missed. I will miss the daily witty email repertoire with Donna and our little group.

Attached is the beautiful bird feeder (Donna's Diner) she designed, built and shipped to me. She'd probably hate all this praise, but she'll have to forgive me because I really did adore and love her.

Miss you, ya "old fart".

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I also only knew GG through her threads and posts on DG and I will miss those posts.But I got a sense of GG's indomitable spirit, so I'm quite sure she is taking photos of those winged angels and captioning them for all of the kindred spirits to enjoy. ^_^

RIP Donna

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

I am very lucky to have been in the group that really knew Donna. The daily exchange of funny emails were a treat. She had a wicked sense of humor that I loved. When we Skyped I never had to worry what I would say because she had a thousand stories to share. She had a way with the written word....she should have been writing books. But she was a true friend who was there if I needed someone to talk too. She was generous beyond measure. She gave and she never asked for anything in return.

I got to meet Donna last summer and spent a night in her home. She fixed us a wonderful meal. She and a neighbor entertained us with their guitar playing duet. We met a another of her neighbors and friend who was so endearing. And we got to meet the 2 Amish boys who helped Donna with yard work...they were so adorable! Before leaving she presented me with a beautiful Cedar bird feeder that she made for me.

I will miss her so very much and I am better off for having known her and I will never ever forget her.

All her neighbors were her friends! That's a true testament to how awesome she was.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

I only knew GG through posts and pictures, But, I could get a sense of the person she was through what she post. I'm sure where she is now, The birds are coming "To Her" ! RIP Donna.

PERTH, Australia

Donna's death is a dreadful event that those of us who knew and loved her will have to come to grips with.

Donna was fiercely loyal, independent, amazingly talented, hard working, honest, generous, humble, and never yielded to the complications of long term poor health. She just got on with her life, making whatever adjustments were necessary. She had broad and far-reaching friendships. She did not suffer fools and was unforgiving and uncompromising if anyone breached her trust or compromised their principles.

She had amazing wood working skills. She did all the internal carpentry in her own home and didn't just buy an item and install it. She purchased raw timber which she resized and worked into the dimensions she wanted - none of that "c**p that they try to palm off on you" in a hardware store. Her workshop was industrial-sized and her skills were legendary. She was passionate about animals and animal welfare and she shared with her friends several videos she took when she made multi-storey bunk beds for twelve cats with Feline Immunodeficiency Virus at her favourite animal rescue shelter.

She was also incredibly funny. Many's the time I've read her emails and have had tears of laughter rolling down my cheeks. Several of us urged her to write. Her descriptiveness was brilliantly colourful and more often than not she'd be poking fun at herself, which made it even funnier.

Donna may have shuffled off this mortal coil, but her indomitable spirit lives on. I feel so privileged to have been her friend; she has affected my life in more ways than she could ever know.

Rest in peace, my friend.

This message was edited Apr 16, 2013 3:22 PM

Thumbnail by MargaretK

Beautiful Margaret. And I just remembered the "Bouncing Balls" rivalry the two of you shared. She loved how that game drove her nuts.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
PERTH, Australia

Marna, that game drove both of us crackers. I removed it from my computer the day Donna died. I have no desire to play it any more. It just wouldn't be the same.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

In remembering Donna also known as GG on DG, tears fall like this weeping wisteria. I'll hold her memory close with fond appreciation of such a loving person Donna was, she who has touched our hearts in such tenderness. Prayers go out to her loved ones, family, and friends near and far.
Kim

Thumbnail by Lily_love

I was finally able to find my photo this morning! Donna must have been guiding me since my brain was mush yesterday and I couldn't remember where I had moved photo files. Thought they were on one online photo storage site and turns out I had used a different one. I am sure she is laughing about that one!

Anyway, I found a photo of the feeder that she made me and a photo showing the outside of her home. She built this home herself and it is a beautiful spot of Pennsylvania. She tried to get us to buy the house across the street from her last year!!

Our youngest granddaughter told me once that Donna is a very cool old lady. I told Donna that and she loved it.

I have cried many tears the last few days but I have had more smiles remembering all the good that was Donna.

I apologize not sure what is up with the feeder photo.

This message was edited Apr 16, 2013 9:01 AM

Thumbnail by nanny_56 Thumbnail by nanny_56
North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

God Speed, Donna. I will truly miss your sense of humor on DG!

Edinburg, TX

You are missed but am sure there's lots of squirrels and other cute critters that enjoy having you in Heaven. ~ Cat

PERTH, Australia

nanny, have you ever look on the underside of your bird feeder? I think you might find the name of the construction company, "effin' constructions."

haha Margaret. REALLY? I'll have to check mine. She's so funny.

PERTH, Australia

Yes, really. So funny. But, I think the idea of a suitable name for her construction company came after your feeder.

Ah… missing her so much. I wanted to make a change to that bench she was guiding me with and was going to email her asking a question.

Yes I did look and it says effin' feeder...I mentioned that somewhere before either in an email or the other site. I think I may have even posted a photo of it. However I did not find that for right off. I had the feeder while. Makes it a one of a kind!!

You know, now that you say it, I think I remember a photo

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

She is missed greatly and will never be forgotten. Her kindness and humor could not be measured.

Nanny...I remember seeing a pic of the bottom of your feeder..that was too funny! She certainly had a way with words!!

Rest in Peace Dear Donna...

PERTH, Australia

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB (Zone 4a)
Mon, April 22, 2013

For the short time I have known Donna, I could tell she was a wonderful soul. She was a warm "people" person, I especially loved her sense of humour, her emails and her love of animals. I will miss her dearly. She is in my thoughts often. I know she is resting peacefully now. My sympathy to everyone, that was touched by her death.

(Posted on behalf of burn_2007)

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

I'm thankful for the joy she brought to so many though I hardly knew her. Godspeed, Grannny Grunt. xox

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.