Hosta pips are up!

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

All of a sudden, there they are. back after a long winter's nap. Different ones at a different rate. No sign of Sum and Substance yet, but my GHTAS Giant Hosta that Ate Saugus is already springing up. Undulata is showing as are green elf and some stilettos. I get excited, what can I say?
Martha

Enterprise, AL(Zone 8b)

None of my named Hostas have made a showing yet. The only ones I can see are the all green ones I planted from seed last year, don't have any idea what they are called. I am beginning to wonder if they are coming back.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I only have a few that have recently broken thru the ground.

we've had a LONG winter so I think we are way behind schedule. Last year we were way a head of schedule.

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Well I have been keeping an eye on my beds that have the new daffodil plantings in them. There are several kinds of hosta there. and I saw growth so I checked my other hosta places and I pulled old leaves and stems out of a few more. They are pretty much on schedule.
Martha

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Went out today and scanned the hosta bed.... LOTS of pips are poking thru. Seems I had a lot of "heave" over the winter so I added some fresh top soil. One plant, half the roots were exposed.

I leave tomorrow or the next day... I hope when i get back right after mother's day, they are fully unfurled... so I can take lots of pics.

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

I just got a sale brochure for Gilbert Wild who is having a sale on giant hosta. Empress Wu, Humpback Whale, and Komodo dragon for 27.95.This is a great price for all three.
Martha

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

That does sound like a good deal, Martha. Too bad I already have Komodo Dragon and just bought Humpback Whale in a library auction =)

Enterprise, AL(Zone 8b)

Yeah, finally two of my Albomarginata hostas are showing.

Thumbnail by Seedfork
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

it's almost like... you know the 'season' is here when the hostas start emerging.

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

I screamed on the way home that spring was finally here... the city put out the first mounds of free compost!

Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

I have several coming up but we are supposed to have a wintry mix Friday night! Looks like I'll be out covering my favorites! Gotta love gardening in the midwest!

Rose

Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

Liberty is always the first up for me in my garden, and it's pips are about an inch high. Almost everything else is just barely waking up and I'd like it to stay that way. I'm way behind with my garden tasks and I don't want to be worrying about "the babies" just yet!

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

Wow, Noreaster, I don't think my Liberty is even showing yet. It has not done well for me the two years I have had it so it may not be coming back. I hope not because it is such a beauty in everyone else's garden.

I hope it shows up for you soon! I'm not sure if mine is in a warm spot of the garden or what, but it's always first up.

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

All my ones in old pots that I didn't get to plant last season are still alive. Got a bag of compost/humus today to scratch in around the ones in the ground.
Martha

Martha, I had many in pots I didn't get around to planting or even buring well last fall...I think they are alive, which is surprising considering the severe winter we had this year. I'm waiting to see if some are stunted, but the pips look alive...for now. Finger crossed. I was very neglectful last fall because of work.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

One thing we have over you guys in the North USA, our pips are already full and happy, my new hostas under my JM tree. All of them I grow in pots, helps control the slugs. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta
Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

My Liberty was enjoyed by a rabbit last year! Was eaten all the way to the ground, so I'm not sure if I'll even see it again this year...Stupid rabbits!!

Rose

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

Lovely Etelka.

All the hostas I bought last year and my one order this year (14) are in pots while I decide where or if to plant. I have so much competition from tree roots.

Brenda

Nice, etelka!

I have quite a few up by an inch or so under the debris. I am overwhelmed by the cleanup task ahead of me.

Rose, that is awful about your Liberty. I dont know why, but I never see rabbits here in Maine. I saw one once while driving but it looked like an escaped pet to me. They are so cute- too bad they are so destructive!

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

I am plagued with rabbits also. They think it is a salad bar. There will be big bites out of the hosta leaves.

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

The rabbits are hell on my garden. So far, they've eaten all my crocuses this year, multiple times. Ate 'Elvis Lives' to the ground last year (shown below), in addition the their normal killing of my Asiatic lilies.

Thumbnail by Eleven

Well I definitely have some casualties in my potted ones...mushy pips. It's still so cold here I don't want to do anything outside. But the hosta don't seem to feel it because they are trying to come up.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

My zone5's are breaking thru the ground, but my zone4's are no where to be found. Those usually start the first week of May, but we are still pretty cold [back in the 40's tomorrow, but i hear a warm up for the weekend] -- I'll keep an eye our [no pun intended]
at home [IL Zone5] I did find some eyes that were 'dead'.

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

The Sum and Substance and Sagae are up. There are some undulatas that have leafed out in the south facing rock beds at the bottom of our property. Even the clumps of NOID that we took in and just put the clumps out back last fall are all up and growing. These were an early donation for my garden Club plant sale in June. I will have quite a few to sell.
Martha

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I saw my first pips today - just a couple of plants that get some sun before the trees leaf out. Not many, but a sign that there's hope. :-)

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

We've been having warm {er} days and cold nights. and sun the past few. So the Hostas are responding.
Martha

Virginia Beach, VA

99% of my collection are up.
Belle

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Ack! Had to chase Thumper out of my garden this morning. Sigh.
Martha

Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

My Liberty is coming back after being eaten by a stupid rabbit last spring! I still haven't seen any growth out of Stephen King, though.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I have a large planter with my entire 'Blue Mouse Ears' family. I stowed the entire thing in my enclosed porch this past winter and it came through just fine. I now have it out on my patio and they are all coming up and are a bit ahead of the rest of my hostas.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Ann -- did you have to care for that pot in any way over the winter? I've considered potting up some of mine and keeping them in an unheated room.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

That planter is fake stone - resin. No care at all. OTOH, DH left my really large clay pot outside last winter and it's toast. The previous winter it had been put into the porch, plants (not hostas) and all and did just fine. But this porch is completely closed in for the winter, just not heated and it does get pretty cold here. Always a few degrees warmer than outside, but still a good extra fridge or freezer depending on the weather. I think even if they freeze they should be OK as long as they are fairly dry. It's the water expanding as it freezes that causes damage.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Last year a rabbit chewed up Paul's Glory, but it came right back big and beautiful. I guess he thought he got pruned and responded well. Also Milorganite will keep the rabbits and cats out of your Hosta bed, they hate the smell. Also repels territorial animals because it has a human scent. It will not hurt the Hostas, they love it! Slow release,low dose, organic fertilizer. The other plants like it too, daylilies shrubs everything responds good.
These are new pips from under the Birch trees.

Thumbnail by virginiarose
Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

The cool days and rain have kept the hostas inground , but I notice today things are showing some growth.

Photo #1 - 'Sun Power'
Photo #2 'Golden Tiara' border
Photo #3 'Honey Bell' in a serpentine hedge
Photo #4 'Sum and Substance' in the raised beds
Photo #5 'Fire Island'

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

here are a few from my Giants garden (a bed that is all oversize varieties).

Photo #1 'Gentle Giant'
Photo #2 'Jurassic Park'
Photo #3 'Komodo Dragon'
Photo #4 'Sum and Substance'

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

VaRose, I use Milorganite on all of my hostas - you can really see a difference. Beyond keeping the rabbits away, the plants are bigger, healthier and have better color. My 'Lancifolia' is always the first to emerge in the spring.

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener
Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Thanks Leawood, they sure look healthy to me. I was surprised mine even came up because I did not have much of a winter last two years. But there are more coming up each day and they are a beautiful sight, for me Sea Thunder is always the first to emerge and I have three.

Thumbnail by virginiarose
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Ann -- My unheated porch would be the same as yours... I was just wondering about water, as I thought hostas needed water, even in the winter.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I don't water until they've thawed out in the spring. I did put some water on this large planter a couple of weeks ago. Having moisture and a freeze-thaw is what does a lot of hostas in early in the season. This is the first time I've put a whole planter there - has my BME family, but I decided last year that I was bored with most of that family. I WOULD, however, hate to lose 'Country Mouse' which is also there.

I have, in the past, overwintered a few pots which duplicated plants that I had elsewhere in the garden. I'd recommend trying a few like that that don't matter too much first.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.