Platycodon Perlmutter Double Flower?!

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

I've just grown these from seed (bought last fall from Diane's seeds), and some are beginning to bloom. What to my great surprise this gorgeous double flower appeared! I can't find any reference to double blooms on this cultivar anywhere. Does anyone here know anything about it? Is this known to happen occasionally, or should I keep this plant separate from the others and see if the seeds come true?

Thanks!

Pam

Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg
(Zone 4b)

That is one gorgeous bloom!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I think so too. I hope your seeds come true!

Thanks! I emailed Diane, she says it's new. Big responsibility! I have to find a place to put it where it won't cross with the others. It's a little complicated, because I was planning to put the others in a showcase spot, now I wish I could use this one. But one plant won't show up in that location... And the best places to put it away from that spot (where it will still have good conditions, care, and so as not to share busy bees), are pretty much out of sight or at a distance from where it could be seen easily.

Bt I'll figure it out by planting time... Meanwhile,it's sooooo exciting! Can't wait to share...

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I can hear the cash register in your future....

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Hey Pam, did you send me some of that seed earlier?

No, I don't think so. I'm pretty sure I didn't have them yet.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

ok..was thinking I needed to save seed if I saw any doubles.

So far that's the only one, but there a a few more budded out.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

I have a semi-double lavender balloon flower. I bought it last year it is a dwarf. The tag has a number you can call 1-877-natlife . If anyone wants to see about doubles. Natural Life is the name of the nursery's name they are in Michigan.

(Carisa) Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Niche gardens has double white ones but they are grandifloras. Any update on yours, Pam?

I have Hakone Blue and Hakone White, both are doubles.

It made 3 flowers on long-ish stems, then stopped in May. So far it doesn't bloom all along the stem like the traditional blues but only at the end, same as my Hakone White seedlings. So a couple of weeks ago, I cut 2 of the 3 long stems, gave it a bigger pot and put it outside after the frost date. Where I trrimmed, it's branching, don't know yet if it will make more flowers. The 2 cuttings are rooting, at least I hope so.

When I know more about how this plant grows- how tall it gets, for one thing- I'll compare it with the one in Michigan and see what's what.

Btw, Diane says seeds don't bring big bucks...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.