Monarda - OH NO!

Warrenton, VA

Hello All,
I made a MAJOR mistake. Bought some innocuous-looking Monarda "Coral Reef" plants last year, saw the note about it POSSIBLY being a POTENTIAL invasive.
Nuttin' POTENTIAL about it. I noticed this week that, all of a sudden, there were TONS of little Monardas around where the original parent plant was last year.
Now, I had put landscape material down, over the topsoil, and mulched thickly last year. This new development in seeing the little Monardas brought back the POSSIBLE NOTE about it being invasive.
Knowing that I had better get on top of it NOW, I did so today. Horrors! That stuff had grown incredibly, rampantly, UNDER and THROUGH the landscape fabric! YIKES!
I carefully removed the dirt with any Monarda roots in it. Now, of course, I need to replenish this dirt. However, I am fairly sure that I am, indeed, on top of this mess.
NEVER will I grow anything with such a warning. NEVER.
When I lifted it, there was a minty scent in the air. Ah Hah! It's just another type of doggone invasive MINT!
BEWARE, my friends - do NOT go near this horrible stuff!
Yes, I wrote to the Company that sells it and told them that they should quit selling it. IMMEDIATELY. And, BEEF UP that warning!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

When I plant species that may be problematic, I sink a 3 gallon or larger black nursery pot, leaving about an inch of the rim above grade. The holes in the bottom are deep enough that mints and such don't escape. I check regularly for runners trying to go "over the wall" and prune them. Works well for plants that primarily run. Species that seed around profusely (Lemon Balm) I shun altogether.

Enterprise, AL(Zone 8b)

Gracye,
Just remember what is invasive in your garden may not be in mine. My neighbor has told me not to grow Dusty Miller because it was so invasive. It takes all I can do just to get it to grow at all. So the seed companies know this and put a warning saying the plant "May be Invasive" for many gardeners it is not.

Warrenton, VA

Greenthumb - why didn't you drop by last year, when I planted the doggone things, WITHOUT BENEFIT of your most intelligent potting system? Jeese, of all the NERVE...LOL! Wish me luck in my persistent (I am sure) mission to eradicate that Monarda...

Come to think of it, how could I EVER plant something with a name like "Monarda?" Sounds like a yeast infection...of sorts...

Yes, I know that a warning is just that, Seedfork, but, you see, the writing should have been on the wall when I glanced at it when unpacking and noted that "it looks just like a mint," and SMELLS like a type of mint as well. And you know about Mint, I am sure...

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Gracye - Don't paint all Monarda with the same herbicide brush. There are a number of native Monarda species that are far less problematic. Photo is of M. bradburiana I've had in the ground a couple of years without problem. I find that the cultivars of M. didyma (such as your 'Coral Reef') tend to be the most aggressive members of the genus.

By the way, I pass by Warrenton several times a year on visits to my in-laws, if you had simply asked.....

Thumbnail by greenthumb99

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.