Moles or voles

Landisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

chewed under some of my hostas over winter and not much left of roots if any..
I am guessing they will not come back. Right??

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Bluepoppy
I think they could come back if you ensure the soil is replaced and you baby them a little. I have not had this happen. I can only relate to a friends big dog burying his toy in the middle of some hostas that he basically destroyed. Some TLC and they were able to rebound.
I do know that Hostas can be one tough plant.
Alberta Ann

Landisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

I think a dog digging them out and a mole chewing off all their roots are different..I have replanted them so we will see.....

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

I 'had' a hosta out front that was very small after a vole got it's roots one year I replanted it in the same place filling in with compost and being smaller it did do good but the next year it was completely gone that vole must have remembered where it was I had others out there and to this day they haven't been bothered but my other one is completely gone now.

Do you have voles bluepoppy? they do eat the roots of plants, moles eat grubs not vegetation. I went around and put juicy fruit gum in all of the holes a couple of years ago and the next year no holes around my plants, this year I need to do it again have no idea if that is what worked but hey the holes were gone for a year.

Landisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

guess mine was voles then...all roots mostly gone..

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Likely voles. But they are worth nurturing. If any of the crown remains they may come back, albeit slowly.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.