How are your Alliums doing?

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

We added a bunch more Alliums this past fall, and I think they are already sprouting. Varieties that are new for me from 3 different vendors It is a long season here because the different varieties bloom at different times. Usually the biggest bloom first, and those bulbs are planted the deepest. I just don't know when to expect some of the new ones.

The first photo is from last spring (4/9/12). The foliage is still fairly attractive before the blooms. The second and third from May 27, 2011. Drumsticks from June 23, 2009 did not open before July. The last is from May 12, 2012 (they are not all round).

I am anxious to see if A. schubertii will grow this year. Does anyone have them in bloom yet?
Marcia

Thumbnail by cathy166 Thumbnail by cathy166 Thumbnail by cathy166 Thumbnail by cathy166 Thumbnail by cathy166
Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

My take on alliums is that when the foliage tips start to dry, the plant is putting its energy into the bloom.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

I wonder if you accidentally selected the wrong photo for picture #1? It appear to be an asiatic lily.

Edit: Yes, absolutely right about the summer-dormant alliums. By the time flower stalks are emerging, the basal leaves are starting to yellow off. The various species that are not summer-dormant though, don't experience this.

This message was edited Apr 20, 2013 8:46 PM

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Thank you. I think I did pick the wrong photo. I'm not so good choosing the thumbnails. I'll have to pick another.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Now that they are busy making buds and the foliage is drying up, does anyone cut the ugly leaves down?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

In my yard, the summer-dormant allium foliage is not usually too visible as it yellows off, due to foliage of other perennials. But sure, it's turning yellow because it's dying off, so you could cut if off if it bothers you.

This message was edited May 3, 2013 4:32 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.