Please ID my Coleus

Pensacola, FL(Zone 9a)

Hi all. I'm new to Dave's Garden, and also to coleus, which I've fallen madly in love with!

The picture below is of a coleus I planted last year, and was purchased at the local ARC Gateway nursery in my town. They were not sure what the variety was, and they only had this one single plant. I tried to take some cuttings to keep inside over the winter, but I unfortunately lost them. :-(

Anybody have any ideas? I'm specifically talking about the ones with the giant leaves lined in lime green, although if you know what the other one is, I'd love to know as well. I thought it might be Saturn.

I'd be thankful for any info anyone could provide!

Thumbnail by look_alive Thumbnail by look_alive
Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

You're going to love it here! Everyone will try to help. One of our favorite vendors is Rosy Dawn.
Here is a link for the first:
http://www.rosydawngardens.com/big-max-14.html

You can also check White Flower Farm
http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/annuals-coleus.html?creative=10917405321&device=c&network=g&matchtype=b&gclid=COyi5ZDJw7YCFcdU4AodVUgAXw

I am sure someone with a memory better than mine with be able to ID them. My overwintering fell short of perfection.

Marcia

Pensacola, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the quick Reply, Cathy!

Based on your link, I think the one on the left is definitely Big Max instead of Saturn. THANK YOU!

Anyone else have an idea about the big green and red guy on the left? He's the one I miss the most! :-(

Pensacola, FL(Zone 9a)

OMG! That's it! I've got 200 coleus seeds germinating, and not a single one is Kong! Aaaaggghhh!

;-)

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

It's likely you wouldn't get them in a mix. Next time you're out looking at coleus ask the nice nursery owner if he or she will let you have a Kong cutting. Most of them don't mind. It encourages customers to return.

Pensacola, FL(Zone 9a)

Just wanted to share the picture attached. I went out to clean out the pot that held my dead coleus that I now know was likely a Kong variety. I was elated to see that she survived the winter and is putting out new growth!

Now I'll finally have the chance to keep her going by taking cuttings! What a wonderful spring surprise!

Thumbnail by look_alive

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.