Adenium concern

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

These are my four adeniums that were on my porch covered will during 4 days of night temps in the 20's. I had to cut off dead branches and have had them in the shade. I wondered if I should move them to the sun (I moved them to sun for the picture). They have not started to leave out at all but they are nice and firm caudexes.

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hmmm...maybe morning sun?

Decatur, GA

I think its fine to put them in the sun before the leaves come out. New leaves grow in a shaded area are the ones that easily burn when moved to the sun. To avoid burning they need to be introduced to bright light in stages. If they start growing in the sun... no sun burn! In fact now might be the time to prune some of those long stems which will encourage branching => more flowers.
I have rooted several stems successfully but the new plants from cuttings don't develop a caudex.
Helen

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Thanks. I think I will leave them in sun and trim the long stems. It just seems like it is taking them forever to leaf out.

Phoenix, AZ

Nancy, how are your Adeniums?

I kept mine in the house most of the Winter. They have been outside for a couple of months - sun until 11:00 a.m. The have leafed out really nicely

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Boy, I made a big mistake to not keep mine inside. I have always left them out on the porch other years, but the cold was so hard on them. Here is a picture of the one that is leafed out the most. Of the other 3, two have started small leaves and one has a green caudex but no leaves at all. Thanks for asking Barb!

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ
Phoenix, AZ

Awww, at least there is some sign of life :)

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Yes, I'm still hopeful. The one that has not leaved out at all (just green caudex) was the most expensive one from Florida. Wouldn't you know!!!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Do you normally keep them in full sun?

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

I plan to move them into morning sun once they start to really develop some leaves. I've had them in full sun but, in summer, it seems like too much. I know people here in the Phoenix area that do have them in full sun though. I just can't seem to keep the leaves from sunburning, even if I try to adapt them slowly.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

my first exposure to adeniums was from a dog training client who had an adenium growing in his backyard. He had built a brick planter and the adenium was growing like a bush. It was in the middle of his yard, full sun. He gave me a cutting (in 2000) that I have in a pot and is a small bush now. I'll have to take a pic when it gets light out. I bring it inside when it gets down to 40 degrees.

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

I wonder if the client's plant lived through the freezes of this last winter!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I should check...

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Update on my adeniums. All but one have started to leaf out. Yah! Here's a couple so far. They don't look like much yet, but the temps of 100 are coming later this week and they love that. The one that still hasn't started leafing out is nice and firm so I will keep waiting and waiting ......

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ Thumbnail by NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

With heat, sun and fertilizer my adeniums that froze have come back well. Only the 2nd one has bloomed so far. I'm hoping for blooms later ... or maybe next spring. I will be taking them in with temps below 40 degrees!

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ Thumbnail by NancySLAZ Thumbnail by NancySLAZ Thumbnail by NancySLAZ
Decatur, GA

I love the Asian look of the one in the second picture.
I think the others could take more sun. They seem a little stretched out.
I agree that 40 degrees is plenty cold. I bring most of my succulents in when it hits the low 50s at night.

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

The second one is the only one that flowered. I'm so afraid of a lot of sun here. It is so strong and I have burned the leaves many times. Maybe that is why they have not bloomed though. I know many growers here do have them in full sun once they are adapted to it.

Decatur, GA

I think if the leaves grow in the sun they are fine. Its when you try moving shade or not full sun grown leaves into the sun they will burn. It can be hit and miss and a lot of by-guess-and-by golly growing these plants. But its fun!

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

I have moved them out more into sun a few days ago. They are doing fine at this point (even though the temps have been 110 here for days, ugh!). Hope it helps with the blooms! Thanks, Helen.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.