OVRG #198 Spring is here!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Attempting to start a new thread that will load faster for the dial up crowd.
We came from here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1298366/

This message was edited Apr 10, 2013 10:57 AM

Thumbnail by goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Lou, I am so glad that your son is OK, and that you didn't have to wait too long to find out! text messages and cell phones have certainly changed the way we can get personal news faster. On 9-11, I was watching the Today show, and when the second plane hot the south tower, I got terrified with fear for two friends, a pilot and an attendant, who had paid for me to go to Hawaii to marry them the year before. I called their home number... No answer. I called Eric's cell, and there they were, going to the grocery or some other ordinary errand. They hadn't heard anything about it until I called. I was so,relieved, and then felt so badly about all the other people who would not be getting good news that day.

Both of our weeping cherry trees have,opened up the their full glory today, but I had better get out and take pictures before the storms roll in. I can see a ton of honeybees working on the one right outside my window!
Pat

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

My Magnolia tree blooms opened today. The storm will destroy all of them. On the bright side we could use the rain.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Good evening to you all.
Lou...so glad everyone is safe! It is sooo scary out there anymore!
Loved the pics of the grandkids and the bluebonnets! The older boy in the one pick looks like a young Dave...smiles!!
Well..I've been working outside too, but looks like the cool down will put a damper on that for a bit.
I guess that's ok, because I am sore all over...lol.
I tend to go at it too hard and too long at a time the first few times in the spring.
I just so love being outside again!!
Went to Lowe's tonight, and they have 4 6pks of annuals for 5.00. That comes out to a little over 10.00 a flat...and that is CHEAP!
They had quite a selection too...just for your information!

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Marcy, you enabler you! Just what I needed to hear, as I have purposely been staying away from garden centers and greenhouses!

Well this morning went out to the greenhouse to water before I went to the grocery store, and the wind had really whipped up and knocked the table I had 5 trays of stuff planted in. All upside down of course. Most of them tomatoes, so this afternoon, just scooped the seeds up, and filled the flats and replanted with some more seed. Not the kinds of tomatoes I wanted, but hopefully we will have tomatoes anyway. I lost the romas, and the fried green and pineapple. This late I am not even going to reorder I will just make do with what makes it.

Yes, I got the preen down, so at least I may not have as many weeds as I would ordinarily have. My Bradford pear and weeping cherry trees were only buds yesterday but all in full bloom this morning. Allergies are horrible today too.

Good morning, just popping in to wish Joyce a very happy birthday. Hope the day is all that you wish it to be.

DH and I are meeting DTS and DBIL at Belterra in southern Indiana this afternoon, for a delayed birthday celebration for DTS and me, plus DBIL whose birthday was a week later than ours. If you don't hear from me, I am fine, maybe stuffed from the food, and wallet suffering from flatitis.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Happy Birthday, Cookie!!!!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Hello Everyone,

Happy Birthday Joyce!

Have to get back to house work. Everybody have a blessed day.

Philo, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi guys,

Just got back from Mexico. Had a horrible croop. But the doc called it a temporary bronchial asmatic condition. Getting better what with drugs and a little inhaler thingy. I told my husband I had a touch of the phtissic. Any of you guys heard of that? Is there a list for the RU? Thinking ahead probably make glass when I am recovered.

Rebecca

Lexington, KY(Zone 6b)

Happy Belated Birthday Bonnie! Have fun @ Bellterra. I love that steak place there-Johnny something-?.
Not sure who Joyce is, but Happy Birthday to you too!
Got lettuces and cucumbers out now. Potatoes are starting to sprout! So beautiful yesterday-till last night!-but happy for some rain.
So sorry for your tomato disaster Bonnie-what a mess that must have been.
Marcy, thanks for the info on Lowe's. I'm gonna need a bunch of annuals. Glad to know that-:)
Happy weekend to everyone! Might be cool, but sounds pretty good for getting out and playing in the dirt!

We are home again. Had a good time and as predicted, stuffed with food, and my wallet is empty. Went from 84 yesterday to 34 today. What a change.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Happy Belated Birthday Bonnie!

Thanks Peggy! I was in a hurry yesterday I have no idea why I put Joyce. I was cleaning out my basement. I always try to get my spring cleaning in on rainy days.

My Magnolia made it. We only got minor wind and a nice soaking rain. The storms went either north or east of us. It's cold today. It's on to the kitchen to scrub the walls down. Maybe even paint this weekend.

Everyone have a blessed day.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Rebecca, Hope you get to feeling better. I have never heard of phtissic.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Rebecca, you have TB? I hope not! I think it's spelled phthisis, so hopefully you have something more minor. But get to feeling better so you can cook up some more glass!
Has anyone heard from Herman lately?
I'm still trying to finish my taxes so i can get on with the rest of my life! If i do get a pool, i'll have to get the fence revised, so the fence guy is coming tomorrow. Then i have to check with the tree guy about the best placement for the pool so that I don't end up killing any more trees than the drought already has.
It' really cold here, too. 42 at the moment, but it feels worse because it was so gorgeously warm 2 days ago.
Pat

Philo, OH(Zone 6a)

Pat,

So that's how you spell it! Actually the doc said I had a temporary bronchial asmatic condition. Could not breath too well. I was getting better but then I got allergic to the inhaler thingy. Tried a different one, same thing! But I am feeling better. Lots of my wild flowers are peaking out. Spring is late here in Philo, Ohio

Rebecca

Barberton, OH

I'm still here. Been doing things other than looking at forums. Spring is here or maybe was since there maybe a frost tonight. I know that Spring is here because I saw my first cluster fly and a wasp that had been hibernating in the house wanted out I helped her and hope she remembers me when the cabbage worm hatch. They did a great job on the broccoli last year, only 1 head early had any worms until Fall.
Another sign of spring is the bloom of Hairy Bittercress. That is the polite name for it. I need to put the corn gluten down next fall. We were in a drought up until Wed and then the rains came and as of last night we had just under 3 inches but from the looks of my lower yard it could have been more. No work back there for a while. I have it mostly clear from the jungle it had been 3 years ago.
I have planted peas, turnips and beets, but I don't think they are up unless they came up after the rain. They are under spun row cover so I can't see anything. Snow drops were up in Jan and are seeding now. Hyacinths and daffs are blooming and a few other flowers are coming on. Remember, the ORV doesn't get much more North than here. Half the county is in the St Lawrence watershed.
Healthwise, I have been fine, hitting the gym for yoga and exercise twice a week. I had a good year supplying local florists with willow branches. but they are starting to leaf out with the 70-80 degrees we had last week and the rain this week, so i can go back to taking care of the gardens.

Herman

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Glad to hear from you, Herman. I had to look up that hairy bittercress, though. I must have too many other weeds for it to find a perch here!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Pat THANKS for the new Thread!

Sorry to be away so long.... LOTS going on.... but first...

Happy Belated Birthday to Cookie! Bonnie and Connie!

AND WELCOME to the new Members!!!!!
And I'm Ric.....

OK our company is being sold...... to a HUGE Company in Germany / 40,000 employees worldwide.
We will be their first US Company.
Looks like all the floor jobs will be OK and only some of the management w/ be on the block.
Looks like.... so.....

On the RU I'll start a Thread this weekend for sure....

Date is set, by tradition, as May 25th which is the Saturday of Memorial Day Weekend.
Hope I have the date right....lol!
Place is open but must be decided fast....
Looks like the group has shifted West ......... just saying....
Robyn and I don't care.
I like the one Cookie found and Chilo as well as Woodland so.....

Might have this photo sold as a full page by my agent in Canada!

Thumbnail by henryr10

I vote for Chilo, as it is closer and the eyes are not letting me venture into unknown territory nowadays.

Beautiful shot.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Hello everybody, Was able to get a lot of yard work before the rain last night.

Great Photo Rick!
I'm new and open on the round up. I already have some plants picked out to bring. Will there be a want and have list? I don't really have any wants just haves.
I hope your job is safe.( whatever safe is anymore)
Every body have a great day. I'm going to put out some grass seed before it rains.

Ric will put up a thread where you can list what you have, and if anybody wants them, they speak up, and you mark them as going to that person. What a good way for you to get to know everybody.

Columbus, OH

It certainly is a good way to get to know everyone. And eat till you explode. lol

I am going to be weeding out bamboo and artemisia Oriental Limelight maybe before the thread goes up. Any takers?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Which bamboo? Yes on the Limelight....thanks!

Columbus, OH

I think it's Yellow Grove Bamboo, my way of circumventing the pronunciation of Phyllostachys aureosulcata. At least wait till I get my braces off to make me say that. lol How many artemisias do you want? I have PLENTY.

I will have assorted seedlings as well--I'll list what I'm going to bring, and I generally have extra cucumbers, melons, and squash.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Hello Everybody, The RU sounds like so much fun I can't wait! I will watch for the thread and post my haves.

It's going to be nice today. I 'm going to get out there and enjoy the warm weather before the storms move in tonight.
I hope everybody has a blessed day.

Oh, almost forgot if you bring dayliy do you do double or triple fans? I have a few I need to split I will put them on the list.

Lexington, KY(Zone 6b)

My daughter's college commencement is Sat., May 25th, so I won't be able to come to RU :(

Columbus, OH

That's too bad, Peggy. :(

I just cut a big gash in my lip with my spiky dental work. Grrrrrr.

taylordaylily, whatever you have available. I usually trade in double fans, and most are priced for a df. Lord willing and the creek don't rise, I will be there at the RU.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Bonnie, Thank you! I'm going to doubles fans. I hope you can make it.

It's so cold! It was nice to have the warm weather. I hope it comes back soon.
Have a blessed day!

Columbus, OH

Thanks, Ric

Waddy, KY

Sounds like things are shaping up for another fine round up this spring. You all have such a good time.

Things are rapidly going to top speed around here. Four markets up and running with another to start May 11. I'm scrambling to try to find help from August on as Kate and her friend are heading to school and another helper is leaving for the Peace Corps in September. I'll be missing all of them dreadfully, especially Kate. Geez, if Chele just lived down here I'd employ most of her kids and her most gratefully.

Need to transplant some lettuces tomorrow and get some canvass on them. Haven't been over to the garden since it started raining so I don't know what it's looking like. I'm hoping that there's some peas and other stuff starting to break the surface. I got fertilizer on the cabbage and potatoes before the rain so hopefully they'll grow like gangbusters.

Been a long day so I think it's time to set up baking for tomorrow morning and then hit the pillow. Later folks.

Janet, make an offer of room and board, for the summer, and I bet you will have some takers. It has been too wet for me to venture any further than just the edge of the garden. I think I am seeing some green out there, and hope that by tomorrow, I can do more than stand at the edge and look, like investigate closer up.

DH pronounced that we were not going to try potatoes this year. He said that it was a constant battle of potato beetles last year, and he though no more than what we use that it would be just as cheap to buy them.

First rainy day, we need to do lunch, you need a break from working all the time anyway.

Need to go over to the threads that Ric has started and look them over.

Barberton, OH

I had taken my figs out of the basement, but shuffled them back in Sat night and last night was a really hard frost, down into the 20's although i could see no damage from it today. I peeked under the cover and found that the peas are up, but no sign of the other seeds breaking through. The back yard is starting to dry out. I will have to cut the weeds back there soon but i have to clean up the branches from the willows I left after cutting the catkins .

I have been thinking about the RU. Is anything else going on that weekend that would make motel rooms hard to get? Just thinking right now. About a 5 hour drive, so I would have to spend the night somewhere. And don't even think of my sleeping on the ground. Once down I couldn't get up and the "Help I've fallen" bracelet" the kids insisted i get doesn't reach that far.

Herman

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Janet you sure are a busy lady. God Bless You! I hope you find some new help over the summer. The Peace Corp that sounds like a adventure. Sounds like a good bunch of kids you have working for you.

Bonnie I can't grow any food in my yard for all the wildlife. I have a chipmunk that has a blast in my gardens. I even had DH build me a 2 foot tall raised bed to try to grow some food crop. The chipmunk now sits on the corner of that bed to eat his food. He is cute, so I have learned to deal with the problems he may cause. What he does not eat the rabbits will. I gave up on food and any true lillium. They clean them off to the stem in one day. They chew on my daylillies when they first come up in the spring it never seems to bother them. I guess I have learned to garden with them.

Taylordaylily, I have a chipmunk, or ground squirrel, and tomorrow I am buying a live trap to catch the little devil. He has caused one of my JRT to chase him in under our car, and has consequently chewed the wiring from our car, not once but three times. That is many more dollars that I am not willing to spend on a "cute creature".

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

OH Bonnie I could not afford that damage either. I hope my critter leaves our cars alone. I have started leaving him seed as a bribe to leave my stuff alone. He paid me back today by burrowing under my Dianthus. My Sister-in-law has a JRT/Boxer mix. She's very cute and busy all the time. Good Luck catching your little devil! I tried for years to get rid of mine, never a trap though. God Bless You.

Taylordaylily, I have 3 JRT's and they are constantly after critters, but this particular one must have college degrees in how to avoid hunting dogs. Well, we will see what the little fella has to say when I catch him and take him miles away!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Bonnie, I have my fingers crossed for you. When you get him I bet he will think How did that happen, or I'm Busted.
Could I borrow you Dogs lol. We have 12 and 13 year old peeks and they are not hunters. My male hunts my dead flowers in the winter. He grads the dried stalks and really shows them who is boss. As for catching any animals he caught a crawldad with his nose once.( We have a pond at the back of the yard) He lost that fight. My female does not see herself as a dog. She thinks more of herself as a Queen.
Anyway, I wish you all the luck in the world. I think miles is a good place. As long as the miles away are not at my house. I 'll keep mine, but I do not want anymore. Have a blessed day!

Columbus, OH

My pibble tries to catch all kinds of things, she is currently feuding with blue jays who built a nest in my bamboo. They chase her and it's hilarious.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.