April 10th, 2013: European Columbine 'Winky Double Dark Blue and White' (Aquileg

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

The Bloom of the Day for April 10th, 2013 was European Columbine 'Winky Double Dark Blue and White' (Aquilegia vulgaris).

View the bloom of the day here: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/botd.php?date=2013-04-10

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

This is a pretty little thing with its bold separation of colors....Love those colors and a great picture too;...yet I still am more a fan of the fluttery single Columbines. Wish we could grow them here.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

So pretty!

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

All of Jan's photos are beautiful, this is sweet!

Ann Arbor, MI

Thank you Kell for picking my shot for BOTD! And to Sue and Dave for the nice comments! Kell & Sue your compliments make me particularly happy because you're both such rockin' photographers.

This columbine has been a pleasant surprise for me. I grew it from seed 4-5 years ago and it's come back stronger every year. It's become a noticeable patch of purple/blue in one of my side beds. My other columbines come back faithfully every year but none have spread like this one.

I seem to recall hearing somewhere that columbine color and shape can change over time because they readily intermix. But so far so good with this one.

This message was edited Apr 17, 2013 10:15 PM

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

It sure is a beautiful one, Jan. And such a great shot!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.