Brand new to clematis and confused

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

I recently received several potted clematis plants from a fellow DG'er who's moving out of state. They all have new growth on them and are about 1-2 feet tall.

I'd like to get them in the ground pretty soon, but I'm confused about the information I've read on various websites.

Some sites say you need to plant them deep, and that a couple inches of the stems should be underground, kind of like how you plant tomato seedlings. Am I reading this correctly? Wouldn't that rot the stems? Do I pull off the lower leaves first?

Others say that this is old information and only helpful for a very select few varieties.

Which is correct? Thank you for your help!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Plant deeply 2 to 3 inches is good. Remove all leaves that would be under the earth. Remember to improve the soil in the planting hole with well rotted manure and compost. Add some bone meal (about one handful per plant). Water in with Epsom salt water (preferably lukewarm - not hot) at the rate of 1 tablespoon per gallon. Be sure to mulch them well - 3". Don't put a competing plant close to the clem or the clem will be deprived of the available food.

Planting deep will NOT rot the stems! You've got the perfect example with the tomato.

Have fun, don't worry and don't skip the mulch! We clematis lovers are all "rooting" for you.

Thank you, pirl! They're getting planted later this week.

Great. Please post any questions we have and we clematis lovers will help you get through them.

Big Flats, NY(Zone 5b)

Hi ssgardener ! Congratulations on your gift of the clematis! What a great person to dig them !If you are not " strong like bull and smart like tractor" see if you can hire a few young persons to help (write me and I will tell you what small crews are best for planting) Also quickly round up a friend who is an amature artist,he or she will quickly get colors set around properly. This is the best time you will be able to amend the planting holes at once so make sure you have all tools and amendments on hand,in easy to cary containers, and all your needed measures out and a plastic Yard Stick.Also see that you have enough hoses and emitters to deal with watering needs.This will help you establishing this valuable set of Clematis correctly. Good Luck! Lee McDonald

ssgardener - are these fully grown plants? They may need stakes to lead them to the trellis or whatever you're using to display them.

The previous owner of the clematis lived in a townhouse, so they were all kept in pots. I'm not sure how long they've been in those pots, and I'm not sure what size "fully grown" would be...? It sounds like it was a good thing that they were in containers -- I had no idea it would be that difficult to dig them up!

They're getting planted this weekend! I have stakes and trellises ready, but I really don't know what I'm doing! :) I'll take pics and post here if I have any more questions. Thank you for following up!

Obviously they aren't little ones so as long as you have your stakes and trellises ready, you're in great shape.

Big Flats, NY(Zone 5b)

ssgardener, Please tell us how the plantings went! Lee McDonald

Thank you for checking up on me! I'm actually not feeling well and didn't get to do any gardening at all this weekend. :( I'll keep you updated on my progress and post pictures again when they flower, as I need IDs for all of them!

We'll be here to try and help you figure out what you have when you post photos. Get well soon!

St. Simon's Island, GA(Zone 9a)

I have never planted them deeply. Would that apply even in a very warm and humid climate? What is the purpose of planting them deep?

Clematis want cool, moist roots to grow and perform well. The closer the roots are to the top of the soil, the hotter the roots get. I would think it's even more important in your area than up north where it isn't as hot. Mulch is a huge help as well. Using 3 to 4" will help conserve moisture.

Maybe that is my issue. I will try to deepen my holes next time. I have 4 new ones coming next week. Thanks!

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

I've noticed that when they are planted deeply, they send up more shoots and the roots like it cooler deeper. I have Black Scallop Ajuga growing over the roots which helps to keep them cool.

Here is today's new bloom. I'm not sure, but I think it is Beth Currie.

Thumbnail by happytail

From White Flower Farms:

Planting the Clematis

If you want the Clematis to clamber up through the Rose, plant them about a foot apart. Plant the crown of bareroot Clematis more deeply than you would other woody plants: fully 3-4in below soil level. This will feel wrong, but will produce a stockier plant.

ssgardener - feeling better, I hope.

Thank you, pirl! I finally got one in the ground! Whew, that was actually a bit more complicated. This one clematis had twined onto itself, so I untangled some of if so that it would attach itself to the trellis instead.

Now back out to do the rest! :)

They will latch on to anything nearby in their urge to climb, as you now know.

Happy planting!

I have blooms! Can you help me ID them?

One has a maroon (?) bloom with 4 petals.

The other one has a pink bloom with 6 petals.

They both started blooming in mid-May, but bloom time may be off because everything was pruned in the late winter without regard to pruning type.

Thumbnail by ssgardener Thumbnail by ssgardener Thumbnail by ssgardener Thumbnail by ssgardener

The dark one just might be Mme. Julia Correvon. I'm not sure at all of the pink one but I'll check my files to see what I can find.

Maybe Hagley Hybrid.

Thumbnail by pirl

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.