Gardens Gems Purchased for 2013 PT 2

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Coming from here

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1296871/

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

message from Bill at Caladiums4less
"I'm watching your temps like a hawk. It's been nice the past couple of days but that's changing on Wed. it looks like. Your Lows are still just a little to cold for me to be able to safely ship your bulbs.
I know everyone's getting Spring Fever!!!!!! I'll ship them right away if you want me to but I would advise against it. I can't insulate the bulbs to a degree but if the box is in an unheated truck for to long the bulbs could very easily be damaged. This Winter has been weird to say the least!!!

Hang in There, It won't be long.....lol...."

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

yeah I was thinking the same thing.. we are still going to get some nights in the 30's next week

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

looks like after this weekend.. we might be good

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I bought a Mt. Laurel to go down back ~ "Pinwheel"

Thumbnail by pixie62560 Thumbnail by pixie62560
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

pretty.. love the color

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

I am planning to buy a small Cornus florida 'Cherocee Princess' from the local nursery as soon as it warms up a little more and we get the chainsaw out for the dead mulberry. There's a beautiful double flowered cultivar on the market, but it surely needs a sunny spot. Anyone having success with them?

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I heard Cornus kousa gets less diseases than florida, but I'm sure people haven't had any problems with them

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

I always thought cornus florida was an understory plant, it grows wild in the woods in the shade of taller trees on the east end of LI. In Southampton, in very sandy soil near the Bay, mine died after a particularly harsh winter and long spring drought. I think water is the key to them, probably needs more with more sun.

C Kousa, on the other hand, definitely wants sun.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

Florida's failed for me - stick with Rutgers hybrid or kousa, although I think the Cherokee's might offer some resistance.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Hmmm. Thanks, all. I suppose I could water it when the rhodi's in the area get dry. This is not for a sunny area, and it is supposed to be an understory in the wooded section that has lots of oak and pine mulch, so very acid, hence the "resistant" Floridas are under consideration. I've heard even the Rutgers hybrids can be vulnerable though so it sounds like its all a crap shoot. The back border needs another shade tolerant evergreen too, while I'm at it, in order to show off the small trees. In between, an amelancher clump looks rather peaked from the constant winter moth attacks from the neighbors' yards, although garden guests always say something nice. That's what happens when I plant something nice for the wildlife--it gets ravished!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

just received my Bluestone order Vib compacta, Hellebores and free Echi Tomato Soup, all VERY healthy looking

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

nice! received my order of jm's yesterday and today - really makes it feel like spring while potting them up. still have one box of three to open.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Bluestone and American Meadows came here yesterday, all looking very green.Still too early to plant them though, except maybe the hellebores? 5 yards of topsoil and organic compost arrive tomorrow! That will take some time to get in place!

So today I walked around HD in the rain at lunch. They had very large Betula nigers for only $39! I have got to try to grow one once more for that price. The price per animal that it would help is a great rate. Maybe there's a slightly sunnier spot this time.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Got together with sallyG and coleup down in Annapolis yesterday and visited Riva Gardens.
I got:
Cham. 'blue surprise'
Lonicera N. 'Baggeson's Gold'
Ceanothus 'Dark Star'. Am hoping it will still be in bloom for the swap. A beautiful deep blue. Also hoping I am not tempting plant zones, but worth a shot.

Was also given a plum magic crape Myrtle. Woot, woot!!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

great!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Caladiums just shipped

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

Woo hoo

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Mine, too!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

my garden express market ordered shipped.. a new place.. keep your fingers crossed that they are good.. supposed to be 4 - 4 inch pots of each
Alternanthera Little Ruby (Michele loved this one last year)
Cuphea 'Allyson' Purple (Mexican Heather)
Purslane 'Fairy Tales' Cinderella (Celeste made me do it.. LOL)

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Of course she did. Heehee

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I may have influenced her a little :) But look....wouldn't you want one???
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/86820/

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

That IS very cute!!!

Thomaston, CT

Very colorful......I'm looking for 2 rhodos that grow very tall to block out my neighbor's property. I noticed a nursery just down the road from Suey's hospital, so I may stop there on Friday.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

It is a cutie!!!!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I had to purchase this for use in an illustration for our women's bible study
Looks more pink in the sun but it's really purple just like the tag

Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen
Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Marilyn, other than the usual maxi rhododendrons which can be great, you may discover some interesting hybrids that are part maxi or part roseum and have qualities not found in the older ironclads. I am especially happy with hybrid Fourth of July--because that's when it's supposed to bloom, and it promises to grow pretty large. My other two favorites are Janet Blair and Scintillation because they blossom well in the shade, but not expected to be as large.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

love that columbine!!.. whoever gave me the columbines last year at the swap.. they went to seed.. I tossed some in the bed at the top of the driveway.. WOW I am loaded up!!!!.. will they bloom this year?

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

American Meadows has a 48 hrs sale on woodland plants, 50% off their usual price. I bought Celandine poppy, Virginia bluebells, Dutchman's breeches, painted trillium, solomon's seal, Crocosomia Lucifer and a double Jewel geranium.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

You never know, may surprise you, but I think usually don't bloom the first year

I saw that ad and didn't look, LOL

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

The poppy? Thought I'd let it battle with the lily of the valleys since nothing seems to hold them in bounds. The ad came just when I was wishing for more woodland groundcovers.

Thomaston, CT

Thanks for the recommendations, Rosemary....I'll see what I can find that grows very tall......not sure if the columbine will flower the 1st year....

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

The garden express shipment came yesterday .. They look nice dispite randy not telling me they came and they were unpacked potted up before I left for work... Gggggggrrrrr

Thomaston, CT

Was he trying to surprise you?

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

two separate shipments of conifers are suppose to go out today

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

oh, he took all your fun away!!!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Heehee.

Nice, wha

Caladiums arrived yesterday, woohoo!!!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

sorry I typed that from my phone.. he just left them packed in the box and didn't say a word they came.. I was ticked that I had to unpack & pot up all these plants before leaving this morning.. and of course I spotted the box right before I was heading out the door.. but he ended up helping me and told me to go and he will finish everything.. so at least he made up for it.. LOL.. they still look pretty good

Thumbnail by onewish1
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Where id Garden Express from? I shouldn't ask but...got a web site?

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

if I recall correctly you were out of there shipping zone

http://www.gardenexpressmarket.com/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.