First bloom 2013

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Pearl Lorraine, a tetra asiatic hybridized by Griesbach. I got it from Faraway Flowers. I put it in the wrong place latst year and it did not bloom because it got unexpectedly shaded by the sun. I moved it and BOOM! It's describes as dark pink, but as you can see, it has an orange cast. It shot up on an incredibly strong stem.

Thank you Mainiac!!!!!

Lilium Red Alert, a scented longiflorum asiatic. I decided last year that I was too pastel. I guess I took care of that!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Finally, no rain this afternoon, and I'm enjoying the cooler weather, sitting on the back deck, being intoxicated by Shocking.

This is the view from my chair as I see the birds at the feeder, and the hummers have been really active.

Muscadet is now blooming, and so is Akitiva, with OT Americam Sentinel in the background, that's almost finished blooming.

Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165
(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

I love Muscadet. I had it on order then changed it. The picture didn't show the gorgeous pink markings and I already had whites on order. I will have to put it on my wish list for next year. I already have an order coming this year.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

These lilies are all at least 4 years old but had been interrupted for a couple of seasons by lily beetle damage. First three have been in large containers that have seen better days so they will have new homes before next spring. The first two remind me of Creme Brulee, not my favorite, but my prince loves them. Number three looks like lollipop but is not. The last two are Elodie and Fata Morgana, but I forget which is which. They were purchased together, planted nearby and always open around the same time.
Marcia

Thumbnail by cathy166 Thumbnail by cathy166 Thumbnail by cathy166 Thumbnail by cathy166 Thumbnail by cathy166
Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Annette, I am wondering if this coloring is a sign of a virus, or the result of spraying.

This is the first bloom. for the past three years, it had been decimated by beetles.

This message was edited Jul 7, 2013 12:54 PM

Thumbnail by cathy166
Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Blooms, blooms, blooms, and they all have a heavenly scent.
Photos 3 and 4 are Nymph, which are new this year and much prettier than the photo.
The only disappointment so far is a simple yellow lily called "Yelloween." I planted six, and they all grew nicely, but only one plant had a bud and one lonely bloom at that. I never expect too much from Sam's but expected a bit more. I haven't been disappointed in their zantedeschia so far.

Lots more to come; heat and humidity are slowing me down.

Thumbnail by cathy166 Thumbnail by cathy166 Thumbnail by cathy166 Thumbnail by cathy166 Thumbnail by cathy166

Are the first and fourth one the same? Are they Nymph. Very pretty and delicate. I really must try them in pots some time.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi Marcia, I love the not "Creme Brulee", the color is so vibrant, and your other lilies are lovely.

Elodie is the pink lily. Fata Morgana is the yellow lily.

I see what you mean about the lily that may be virused, the color is streaky. Is there a way for you to isolate it from the other lilies in case it is infected, and monitor it again next year? I didn't want to take any chances with the other lilies that I have, so the plants tha I was suspicious about were yanked, and tossed.

Annette

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Mary, one and four are Nymh. I don't know how it happens! I deleted it and moved it, but apparently not satisfactorily.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Anyone have an idea of what this one is? It's definitely not Penthouse, that I was expecting. The blooms started off white with pink speckling, and as they are aging, they are developing a pink color along the ribs of the petals. If it ever stops raining, I'll take the row boat out into the garden (Lol) and take a few more pictures.

As of this week, we have rainfall 14 inches ABOVE normal so far this year with no end in sight for the rains. The slugs are in heaven!

Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165

Well, the rain may be miserable for you but your yard obviously loves it. so vibrant and green. No guess on the lily. If it had more speckles I guess I would think Muscadet but I doubt it.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

The 'Albo' trumpet lilies are just starting.

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

These lovely Asiatic lilies are beautiful, but difficult to see. They are about 7' tall, but the blooms face down so you almost have to crouch below them to view (and take a photo!).

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

Hmmm. I see I posted a message about 'Albo' but didn't post a photo. Ooops.

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener

So what is the name of the pink one. it is just delicious.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

I used to know the name, but I'm not as good a gardener as others - I don't have things tagged (tags always seem to get lost, broken or lose their 'image'). I'll look through old receipts and see if I can find a name. I really need to find a good tagging system.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Isn't the pink one Anastasia?

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

Are those balloon flowers in your picture Donna?

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh yes! I just love those guys.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

I think you are correct, Donna! 'Anastasia' sounds familiar. However yours seem to show their faces better - perhaps it's because they get more light. Mine are in a bed that gets little direct sunlight.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Here it is in a less bright location. But I'm quite sure it is Anastasia. Which is absolutely my favorite lily.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Todays garden walk mostly lilies
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4482833727211.1073741837.1781148731&type=1&l=09f44a67a5

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

What a beautiful walk, JoAnn. Love them all. Dahlias are earlier for you than here. I haven't posted any in FB this season.
Marcia

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I havnt planted dahlias in a long time.
I have no idea why I dont have them every year.I'll make a note to myself.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

Trumpet lily 'Albo' in the foreground and Asiatic lily 'Anastasia' in the back.

A new bloom today is a 'Star Gazer' spinoff - a lovely white with yellow.

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener

Star Gazer spinoff is gorgeous. I just ordered an additional bunch of lilies from LG. I bet I could add the spin off if I wanted.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

I wish I could remember the exact name. I also bought 'Salmon Star', but it hasn't bloomed yet.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

'Star Gazer', 'Salmon star' and 'Starfighter' all opened today.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Leawood, looking great. I can smell them from here.

Some of our orientals have opened and are pretty much gone (heat?) and more will probably open this week or next. I has been exceptionally hot with little respite. Affecting the plants and me, too. Short, heavy rains have been wreaking havoc on the lilies.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

This time of year the whole garden is perfumed with the scent of lilies. It reminds me of those big, fancy weddings.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Leawood, I should have added that Anastasia is an Orienpet, which is an Oriental Trumpet cross. I purchased mine from The Lily Garden many years ago. I purchased three, and they multiplied so well that I was able to put them in several places in my yard, as well as give some to friends. They used to be very expensive (3 for $42), but because they multiply well it has been possible to get these gorgeous things into more hands.

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

These pictures are making me anxious for the rest of my lilies to bloom. These are the first ones to bloom and just bloomed today. Not sure of the proper name of any of them but this is one of the pink ones.

Thumbnail by robertsonj88 Thumbnail by robertsonj88
Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

They are loaded with buds! You're going to have a great show. Congratulations.

your timing is about the same as mine. I have about one week til some start opening.

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Thanks! Over the past three years my lilies went crazy multiplying. It'd look better if I didn't kill the grass in front of them and I did some weeding. haha

Sometimes if I don't ave a marker or a stem from the prior year I have dug them up (sometimes cut in half) much to my disgust.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Robina starting with DL Night Beacon

Thumbnail by ge1836
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Nice blooms everyone!

Jo Ann, your combination of Robina and Night Beacon is just lovely.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

thanx

They are huge. What fertilizer do you use?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.