Believe it or not

Longboat Key, FL

Ripley's day down on the farm.

How do they grow this way?

1. All the rest are straight as a rod.

2. Where is the rest of the plant?

3. Italian black Bonsai

OK, Carolyn (and others). Please explain.

Thumbnail by flyboyFL Thumbnail by flyboyFL Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

I am sorry ... but this is really funny ... sorry ...

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

lol !!with sympathy !! I have had that happen before ,, with burnt plants

Wyoming, MN

Just a lurker on this thread, but it gave me a chuckle. Looks like Charlie Brown's Christmas tree.

Gary

Longboat Key, FL

FUNNY -- SYMPATHY -- LURKINg

WHAT I NEED IS HELP !

Be well

(o_O)

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Well ,is it because they burned , ? Drastic mutation as dwarfism ? Not unreasonable ? As said before , I have seen that before and an explanation might be useful .
Even a blame it on GMO might be productive ?

This message was edited Apr 7, 2013 7:40 PM

Hutto, TX(Zone 8b)

1) My guess is that one side of the growth zone was damaged by cold, an insect, or just bruised somehow. That caused the damaged side to grow more slowly and the curve developed because of the different growth rates on the sides of the stem.

2) Similar to 1) but the entire growth zone of the stem was damaged, so no stem growth at all.

3) ? Some sort of stress caused the small plant to lose it's leaves, so it is growing from the energy produced in the chloroplasts in the stem alone. It might start growing new leaves if in a mild environment.

Not an expert, but some biology.

David R

Longboat Key, FL

WOW.

This is an education.

~juhur7: GMO's? Modified? What about Global Warming or Global Cooling?

and David R: Do those things really happen? Why to me?

Be well

(o_O)

Longboat Key, FL

Maybe it might be King Jung-un sending stuff over from North Korea with his secret rockets.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Testing , testing , testing , quick lamp cylinders made in "" could have glowing prospects for the future though!!

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

I've has something similar to this happen to me but I was using very old seed. And I think you got your's straight from Italy didn't you? Their seed is usually A-1. Maybe they went through the X-ray machine or some sort of scanner??? Or perhaps some of the seed was cross polinated and you have a few clinkers. The fact that one is producing a Charlie Brown-type tomato so early in the growth pattern looks kind of hormonal to me.

I do like the King Jung-un theory, though. Those pesky North Koreans have been turning perfectly normal business wire transfers to South Korean businesses into a circus here at work! Now they're trying to mess with our 'mater seeds! Phoowe to them!

Longboat Key, FL

Lets all start jumping up and down -- in unison. Maybe it'll shake him up. .

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

LOL! That could be fun!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Yes it could be fun ,, an we could all be a new introduction food , Rain glow nuclear milkshake try them!! you will shine like rain in sun !!

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Giggle!

Well, I hope you have other seedlings started from the seed packet that turn out OK.

Longboat Key, FL

I hope, I hope, I hope !

Be well

(o_O)

BUda, TX(Zone 8b)

Don't take this the wrong way, but an example of the saying, "This proves why some parents eat their young..." LOL.... As they say, "we all can't be perfect."

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

I've had those rabbit ears before. From what I remember sometimes it just happens.

Longboat Key, FL

I don't know about that.

My favorite poem is by Yevgeny Yevtushenko. The title is "Let Us Be Great.

(I hope that Dave won't mind if I use up some of his tetrabytes.)

I make demands of the trucker, the doctor,
and the man who is making me an overcoat --
we must excel in everything,
no matter what!
There should be no mediocrity --
neither in buildings or in galoshes,
Mediocrity is unnatural,
as unnatural as falsehood,
To win fame,
you must spur yourself on.
Not to be great is shameful,
Everyone should be great!

He wrote that in 1959.

Be well

(o_O)

This message was edited Apr 9, 2013 6:42 PM

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

Are we discussing tomato plants still?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Tomatoes?plants? What are those?

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

I suppose we are just not used to accepting clincker in our packet of tomato seeds. Each seed must be great....=+/

Longboat Key, FL

Packets?

Who still buys seeds?

My great-grandmother came here with one dried tomato in her luggage. That did it!

(o_O)

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

I won't tell you what my great-great-grandfather smuggled in on the boat. Let's just say he was a vet (unusual in those days) who specialized in breeding German and Dutch draught horses. And he didn't bring the stallions with him....He went back and forth a number of times. Central Illinois was well supplied with German Cold Bloods and Belgian Drafts due to my great-great-grandfather.

Longboat Key, FL

Don't you have to keep that stuff refrigerated?

Be well

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Apparently it was a burgeoning industry at that time and it was kind of hit or miss. Probably why he seems to have only traveled in the dead of wintertime--which did not make for a smooth crossing. I'm only getting these tales from relatives. My great-grandfather, who used to tell me stories of his father's horses, did tell me about this. I was way too young at the time to question him. But I did get one independent story from the descendant of one of gg-granfather's neighbors who told me great things about the horses bred down from this line. He swears his own great-great-grandfather told him the same stories about my gggf. Who knows how they did it--but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt as so many different people seem to have the same story from probably reliable sources. Bizzare tales of our ancestors....some of these folks knew things that have just been lost to time.

I do have a number of photos from the early 1900's of some these prized draft horses. Ggf said they were all into the draft horse business, vet business, and farming business until the tractor came along (and they all started fighting over the land). My great-grandmother never did like cars or tractors...but she had a heck of a veggie garden.

Longboat Key, FL

terri~

Wow. We have to keep these stories alive lest we become a bland, homogenized civilization.

And I don't wonder why she had such a "heckuva" garden. After all -- she had an unlimited supply of that stuff that makes things grow.

Those were the good old days. It is amazing that the sparrows and pigeons managed to survive after the horses were replaced by automobiles. We raised a couple of ducklings in our backyard one year. We had to use a scraper on our kids snowsuits before we let them in the house. Everything is so sanitary now.

Those draft horses. Were they as big as the Clydesdales?

Hope your kids will remember allr the stories..

Be well

(o_O)

All I know is that spontaneous mutations will cause those rabbit ears. I don't expect all the seeds to produce perfect seedlings. When you look at how the genes on the chromosomes need to line up it's a wonder anything comes out right. True for flora or fauna.

Longboat Key, FL

1lisac:

I guess you are right. It is a miracle. Like how we manage to come out with ten fingers and ten toes -- and two of the fingers being opposing thumbs.

Someone or something had to have figured it all out beforehand.

Be well

(o_O)

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Sorry I forgot to respond to the German Draught Horse question. From the photos I don't think they were as big as Clydesdales. They had big hooves, feathering on the lower legs, short and very muscular necks and bodies, and large heads. They seemed to really be able to put in a day's work on the farm as some of the photos I remember had four of these horses hitched to farm implements, hay wagons, etc. In comparison, other photos showed twice a many mules hitched to the same implements. My grandfathers said they were very gentle and he often talked of riding they across pastures when he was a small child. I've never seen a German Draught Horse in person.

Longboat Key, FL

They seem to have been more fun than a Deere tractor.

Be well

(o_O)

This message was edited Apr 19, 2013 1:29 PM

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Well, I like tractors, too☺ Shame we couldn't have found a use for the draught horses after the tractors took over.

Sylvania, GA(Zone 8b)

So what do you do about it? I have a Roma doing the exact same thing.

Angel

Longboat Key, FL

Which thing?

Being short of acreage -- I discard them.

Be well

(o_O)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.