Vinca

Landisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Has anyone grown these from seed and what are the pitfalls of doing it??
I finally got some up.Said they needed to have dark to sprout. So I gave them dark..
Now what do I do?? Do they like a lot of water or not much and when do I put them in
daylight?? I don't have a green house. Have to use the baywindow to the south for my
seedlings.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Once they germinate, you will need to remove any covers you may have the pots to retain humidity, and put the try in the windo for light. Remember that the seedlings will have to be hardened off before they can be planted outdoors - you can do this by setting th seedling trays in the shade for a week after risk of frost has passed.
N.B. Vinca is usually a perennial, unless you are growing some unusual species.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

altagardener, I think he is referring to Catharanthus roseus which is known as annual vinca, and is commonly sold as 'vinca' in the states. It is not frost tolerant and treated as an annual.

Landisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

yes that is the one I was asking about..the annual not the vine.

Atlanta, GA

Annual vinca has developed a fungus which can remain in the soil. If you want to be safe planting them make sure you buy Vinca Cora's. These have been developed because they resist the fungus even when planted in diseased soil. I've just finished researching where I could buy them and the one retailer who is probably common to most of us is Lowes. They come in the usual variety of colors and are also available in a Cora Cascade for hanging pots. I'm not sure if Lowes carries the Cascade. I'm headed for Lowes today because my local retail nursery sold me plants that are showing signs of the fungus before I could even plant them (I lost them all last year too.). Because of the impatiens fungus I got suspicious, and sure enough vinca has a similar problem. You can also buy the seeds for Cora from Parks Seeds. Remember vinca don't like to be wet, and they don't like cold weather so don't plant them too early. Good luck!

Calgary, Canada

So how did this plant turn out?
Is it a candidate for part sun or just full sun?
I am planning to start it from seeds.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.