Peony from Lowes (Double Pink)

Enid, OK

I gather from what I have looked up that there is no such thing as the named Peony called Double Pink. I assume this is probably some generic name for a double pink peony.

Any thoughts? Am I right or is there one named Double Pink????

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

There might be a peony with that name as the search brings up a few possibilities. It is really an open door. It could be a double or the double could refer to the color. It could even be something other than a herbaceous peony. How was it packaged: pot or package, and was there any kind of photo? And how much was it?

Years ago I bought lots of peonies from Costco, something like 5 to a package for $10 or so. They had photos and were true to the pictures and names. All I knew was that I loved peonies, especially the unusual varieties unlike the doubles I grew up with. I knew that they should be planted pretty shallow. That was the good part. The bad part was that if I recall they were one-eyed plants, about 2.5-4 inches long. I think there was a sprig the first year and 2 or 3 the second year, some with buds that failed to develop. Patience, education and good care have turned them into beautiful plants with lovely blooms.

About a year later I spent $25 at a nursery for a potted Bowl of Beauty peony with a lovely bloom. My yard guy planted it for me, and it has never done well. Think it is time for a new home in another part of the yard.

I have had good experiences with Lowe's garden center products, but from now on get peonies only from a peony reseller. Just because.

Enid, OK

It is a potted plant and I paid $12.98 for it. It even has a few buds on it already, it just looked nice and healthy so I bought it. I guess we will see what it does!
Thanks for your input.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

My experience with herbaceous peonies is that they are sort of like icebergs with huge roots down below the soil line. Does it have a soft stem or woody?

Enid, OK

Oh, I don't know...I will have to check.

Enid, OK

I guess you would say that the stems are soft. They are the same as the other peonies I have that are just normal old ones I have acquired here and there.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.