Leyland Cypress - good for privacy?

Bealeton, VA

We are trying to figure out what kind of fast-growing shrub/tree we could plant to afford us some privacy for our backyard. Leyland Cypress caught our eye, they seem to fit what we need. Would like opinions as to how healthy and hardy they are and if there are any major problems associated with them (shallow roots?). And do they really grow 3' - 4' a year?! Thank you!

We are located in northern VA.

Patti

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

They have disease problems in climates with hot, humid summers, mainly from Seiridium canker. You'll find it grows very well for a few years, then starts getting dead branches from canker, with die-off steadily progressing. Better to try Thuja or Cryptomeria.

Resin

Walkerton, VA(Zone 7a)

Ditto Resin's comment. A nearby landowner enclosed a large pasture with them and unwittingly created a living petri dish for Seiridium canker. they must be 25' tall now and they are steadily succumbing. Bagworms infest them as well. What was a very nice (and expensive) hedge will eventually be a long line of ugly dead trees.

Warrenton, VA

You should have a Meadows Farms close by, and if you become a preferred shopper (a good deal), you get coupons via email. Right now, they have a Buy One Get One Free special for their preferred shoppers, so, you can afford more.
I suggest that you take a look at the Nellie R. Stevens Hollies. They have alot going for them. Their shape, compared to the Leyland Cypress, is more Virginia and traditional, and they grow pretty fast. They attract birds, have pretty Winter interest, and are low in the pest/maintenance area. Bambi no likee.
I dunno, I just cannot warm up to the shape of the Leyland Cypress. Factoring in the factors mentioned by the two knowledgeable people who answered your question, I would take great pause before buying the Cypress. Oh, if you have Bambi in your area, Thuja might be candy to them. Just a thought.

Bealeton, VA

Thanks everybody for the information!

Sounds like the Leyland Cypress are out. Checked out Thuja but they get like 40' tall and that would maybe be overkill on the privacy issue. I also checked out the Nellie R. Stevens Holly and I'm in love! Great looking, good height, hardy and not too expensive. What more can I ask for?! Thank you Gracye!

Warrenton, VA

butterflysmiles, you are so welcome! Wait until Winter, and you will REALLY be happy! I live pretty close to you, and boy, I've searched for the same problem. Yep, I got three Nellie R. Stevens hollies. Now, there is some thought about needing to have a male oriental holly for more berries, but look at it this way, it's just another reason to get another holly! LOL! Research if you want to, but I am very happy with my NOW 4 NRS hollies.
Don'tca think they look more VIRGINIA?

Quote from butterflysmiles :
Sounds like the Leyland Cypress are out. Checked out Thuja but they get like 40' tall and that would maybe be overkill

In areas where Leyland Cypresses don't get diseased, they get huge too - this one is 35 metres tall, with a trunk over a metre thick ;-)

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin Thumbnail by Resin
Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Thank you Resin- I live near Seattle, in the land of 200 foot tall Douglas firs. I have tried to discourage neighbors from planting these, now I can show them your pictures. Everyone seems to think it will be a nice little hedge...

Quote from mlmlakestevens :
Everyone seems to think it will be a nice little hedge...

An all-too-common misapprehension! Yes, please do use the pics

Resin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.