Brown leaf tips

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

I have a beautiful clematis, but it has a nasty habit............

The problem is the thing comes out looking so healthy and vibrant. Then, when it blooms, it's gorgeous. THEN, very soon, the leaves start browning on the tips. The brown will eventually get half way down the leaf, but it doesn't seem to affect the blooms.

I've thought maybe it's to dry--too wet--too hot--or too something else. I fertilize with Osmocote. Heck, I don't remember if I put some on it when it first started sprouting, or not. I've heard that these pretties like morning sun, but need cool feet, so I put a stone edging in front of it (so the poor little thing wouldn't get hot feet). I about lose my patience with it every year when I see the browning start, and so early. But...it's so pretty and about the first thing that blooms around here.

I'd love to hear what you think.

Thumbnail by sybram Thumbnail by sybram
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I think I'd enjoy the beautiful blooms and ignore the brown tips. If they annoy you more than you can bear, could you cut off a few leaves and see if you get new leaves without brown tips?

I did Google the issue but so much of the information is misleading or just inaccurate. You might want to call your local County Extension Service agent and ask but be clear that you are not calling about clematis wilt.

My best guess is that it's a humidity issue.

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Pirl. Wonder why I never saw your post before? Anyway, I'm going to try to set them a little apart from the EEs, so they won't stay so wet.

You're welcome.

How much sun do the clematises get and is it morning or afternoon sun?

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

They get morning sun until 12 or 1pm.

They want 6 hours a day so they're probably getting enough sunshine.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.