Has anyone made their own egg washer “machine”?

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

I'm looking to make my own automatic egg washer “machine”. Does anyone know of a good one that I can get the plans to?

I have 33 pullets that have started to lay. I'm not standing at the sink washing eggs every day!!

Casper, WY(Zone 5a)

From what I understand, you really don't need to wash your eggs, except those few that may have chicken poop smeared on them. We never washed them when I was a kid, and I don't wash mine now, I just brush off any pine shavings (or straw) and feathers and put them in the fridge. Most are remarkably clean. They have a natural coating on them that, if left unwashed and undisturbed, will help prevent bacteria from getting inside. Forgive me If I am wrong, but I believe it was Mother Jones that did a long term test of eggs and found that unwashed and refrigerated eggs last the longest. If you really feel the need to wash them, I would just do that at the time of use.

Richmond, TX

I agree. It is better not to wash eggs as it removes the protective coating. If you need them clean to sell, sanding the soiled spots lightly does less harm than washing. If you keep the nest boxes clean, you will have very few dirty eggs.

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

Porkpal, yes, I'd be selling them. Will do. :)

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

Some days the eggs are fine with just a wipe to remove pine shavings or feathers, and on other days, especially if it's been rainy, they're a mess. I wash them in hot water as advised by the articles I've read, and wipe them with a paper towel. The hens do sometimes leave droppings in the nest boxes, though, and then we have to deal with that mess.

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

For the really dirty ones, because of the quantity of eggs I'm getting, I'd like to make an egg washer..... Has anyone made one?

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

Well, I went to youtube and found a video on how to make an egg washer. Went to a couple stores, picked up a short length of PVC, some fittings, and wire egg baskets from TSC, came home and made my egg washer to fit a food-grade plastic bucket I have, hooked it up to a small compressor, and boy does it work like a DREAM!!! My back is SO happy that I don't have to stand at the sink washing eggs! I put the basket full of eggs in the bucket, fill it up with warm water, hook it up to the compressor, come back in 10 minutes and their all sparkling clean!!!! L-O-V-E I-T!!! .....HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY!!! :-D

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

How cool, Glenda! So glad it works for you!

Richmond, TX

Success!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.