Adenium seedlings questions

Chicago Suburbs, IL(Zone 5b)

Last fall I started some Adenium seeds a very generous DG member sent me.They all sprouted and have been growing steadily since. Space and time is limited and I can't keep all of them so I need to thin the herd so to speak. The pictures are of some of the seedlings that I took a few days ago. I am not so much interested in flower color as much as I am interested in shape. Is it too early to start thinking about which ones will be keepers? Should I be doing anything at this point that will help develop their caudex and roots?

Thumbnail by plexippus Thumbnail by plexippus Thumbnail by plexippus Thumbnail by plexippus
Akron, OH(Zone 5a)

They look very happy, good growing! I can't think of any guidelines, it's up to you to decide which ones you like best. I would examine their roots and pick the fattest or fancy. I would also repot in shallow and wider containers for the roots to spread. I don't think there is such thing as an ugly adenium, lol. Would love to hear any tips too, good luck!

Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

Now would be a great time to do some experimenting. Try repotting them into different size/shape containers. Set one up by a window, one outside in the sun. You can test the limits of exposure, which should give you squatter plants, without any big deal if there's a loss. Or try different doses of fertilizer if that's your thing. Whatever you learn gives you information on what works best for you, on top of allowing you to choose the best looking plant at the end.

Your plants look great!

Arlington, TX

I once read an article on a over seas seller site that described the pruning and fertilizing methods they used on very young plants in order to produce short stocky specimens. If I can find it I will post the link here.
C

Decatur, GA

Your plants look great. I think giving them plenty of light/full sun is going to encourage growth and keep them stocky. You might try pruning them or possibly some of them (experiment as Baja suggested) to encourage branching and a fuller plant. I suppose there is a genetic component as well so environmental factors might not be all thats involved.
You certainly are on the right track since you got them all to germinate and grow nicely. Have fun!

Fort Wayne, IN

This Spring I ordered some desert rose seeds and they have all sprouted and I have put them in separate 3 to 4 in. pots. My question is, when does the caudex start growing? All of mine are getting up to 3 in tall and fat but no bulbs at the base. Here are a few pictures.
Grace

Thumbnail by acts238 Thumbnail by acts238 Thumbnail by acts238
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

I think it depends on the varieties and conditions. It looks like plexippus has caudexes starting. Yours are much younger so could be awhile.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.