Clematis Recommendations For Mailbox

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Would some of you please recommend Clematis varieties that would be suitable to cover a mailbox? Ours is just the traditional kind mounted on a wooden stake that has an arm in the back topped with a finial.

I'm open to all suggestions, although preferences for bloom colors would be dark burgundy or purple that are fade resistant, produce the most profusion of blooms, and provide the longest show. I was looking at Bluestone Perennials catalog and love the C. Fleuri, but noted it only grows 4' tall, and also C. Rosemoor at 10'. Too short, too tall? Or wondering if you all could recommend something in-between?

In addition to using a heavy coat of mulch to keep the feet cool, what companion perennials would work well? Our mailbox faces NW, is in full sun and there are no trees or shrubs in the vicinity.

Thanks so much for any help.

No suggestions yet but am hoping some of you will chime in.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

All I can think of is Jackmanii but many consider it boring. It's one of the longest blooming clem's here.

Thumbnail by pirl
Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

I agree with Arlene. I had a Jackmanii on mine till I had to move it for some road work being done. That was 4 years ago. I have not had one to grow as well and as fast as that one since. I am going back to the Jackmanii.

It is lush but just might be too lush (or too heavy/wild/awkward) for a mailbox. Maybe it could work with a trellis to back it up so it could be trained, in part, towards the mailbox. The one in my photo is on a metal trellis though it's difficult to spot in that photo. The trellis can be seen in this shot.

Thumbnail by pirl

Thank you for the the suggestion and the trellis tip. That's a beautiful shot with yours in bloom, Arlene.

Your input is much appreciated.
Susan

Jackmanii grows fast and has to be cut back a few times in the growing season. Here you can see as it reaches the lantern on 5/13, then looks neat after a good haircut, 5/29, but is still in bloom in mid June. That goes on all summer long so be prepared.

Thumbnail by pirl
Litchfield Park , AZ(Zone 9b)

I have Jackmanii on my mailbox. I think it looks lovely.
I just hope I can get clematis to grow in AZ when I move next year.
Dee

Thumbnail by dmwade

I think it looks lovely, too!

Give the new planting hole a huge amount of compost to retain moisture, along with manure, a handful of bonemeal mixed in with the compost and manure, and be sure to plant it deep - 3 to 4". Top with mulch - another 3".

I just went to PlantFiles to check who has it growing in Arizona and came up empty-handed.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2162/

You may want to go to the Regional Forum to check with folks out there. Maybe some do grow it who just never entered the information on PlantFiles.

Athens, PA

Dmwade - that is gorgeous. I love Jackmanii.

Sooze - did you plant Jackmanii? I d' love to see some photos. Your gardens are always so beautiful.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.