Ulmus carpinifolia 'Variegata'
Ulmus glabra 'Camperdownii'
Quercus robur 'Fürst Schwarzenberg'
Quercus robur 'Pendula'
Acer palmatum 'Ryusen'

Can't wait for the new kids....and blisters from diggin'

(Zone 7a)

Those sound positively wonderful!

Mine is a short list this year...Nothing. I got all perennials. Please post pics when yours arrive.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

What a great list! You've got room for all of 'em?
I've got tons of things coming too, but frequently lose track of what.
So it's often a hilarious surprise to open up the box & see what I ordered.
Or sometimes order the same thing twice - or more...
The next few weeks will keep the delivery men busy beating a path to my front porch!
Then after the exhilaration of opening the boxes comes the reality of having to plant them...
And the same tiresome vow not to recreate the problem next year.
But then the long cold winter and all those enticing catalogs ... and so it goes ...

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

I hope I have room. I just bought a farm in Michigan that's pretty much a blank slate with the exception of a mini forest of huge mature oak and maple. I'm just a bit concerned about the shade factor. It's bright and sunny now... but when they leaf out??? And finally I can get the 30-some different ginkgoes Ive been nurturing for years in pots planted in the ground.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Wow! Good for you.
I've been seeing all those bizarre gingko's you've been acquiring -
I've wondered where on earth a Chicagoan would be planting them.
Sounds like sun might be hard to come by - I'm familiar with the problem,
having a predominantly wooded lot to contend with.
You may need to do some clearing to make room...
But sounds like fun!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

This is a mix of shrubs I have purchased and been gifted by Raulston Arboretum:

Fothergilla Mt. Airy (2) from Bluestone
Viburnum Pink Beauty from Plant and Gnome
Deutzia gracilis 'Nikko Dawn' from Raulston Arboretum
Abelia x grandiflora Lynn ‘Pinky Bells’ (2) from Raulston Arboretum
Hydrangea serrata [Amacha Group] 'Ô amacha Nishiki' (2) from Raulston Arboretum
Hydrangea paniculata ‘Brussel Lace’ from Raulston Arboretum
Callicarpa japonica 'Inagali' from Raulston Arboretum

A lot of them are sun/shade plants, which gives me lots of options.

Some are going straight into the ground, like the viburnum, which is three feet tall. Others I have potted up and placed, for now, on my quite cold patio. The serrata is not hardy and will spend winters in my garage. But I have a big garage!

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Now, Donna - such an overwintering facility would be termed an "orangerie" up your way...

Make sure you provide blooming pics of your 'Pink Beauty', when the time comes. Is that a Viburnum plicatum f. tomentosum selection?

Here's what I'm hoping to have, when Beaver Creek thaws enough to dig and send them my way:

Cornus mas Clydesdale™

Cornus mas 'Dripping Cherries'

Cornus mas 'Flava'

Cornus mas 'Pyramidalis'

Cornus mas 'Shumner'

Cornus officinalis Spring Queen™

Viburnum dentatum Indian Summer™

Viburnum dentatum Red Regal™

Magnolia x 'White Rose'

Viburnum prunifolium Fall Fire™

Viburnum sieboldii Ironclad™

These are all bare root plants, from 12" to 30".

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Yes, it is indeed a tomentosum selection. I had five viburnum plicatum tomentosum "lanarths' for everal years until a winter finally took them out. I had gotten them from Forest Farm so they were pretty steep.

I'm pleased that you wrote. I had, at my old home, viburnum opulus and viburnum trilobum 'Spring Green' compactums, and both berried like mad without a pollinator, which mystified me. I found them at your recommended supplier, Classic Viburnums, and found that those two:

http://www.classicviburnums.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/plants.plantDetail/plant_id/7231/index.htm

http://www.classicviburnums.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/plants.plantDetail/plant_id/7157/index.htm

I remember being chastised for saying that they berried like mad without pollinators. Apparently these are very unusual, which I didn't realize when I purchased them from Milaegers in Racine in the 1990's. I am going to clear out other areas and put them in. It's nice to know I can actually put in one of each and get the wonderful fruit set I got at my old house.

Love your choices. I had two viburnum dentatum 'Chicago Lustre'. What a plant! And a standard viburnum prunifolium.

Orangerie - I like that.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack

You didn't say who chastised you...hope I'm not guilty of that.

If I have ever made dubious comments about fruiting claims in the absence of pollinators, it would be in reference to the situation of a gardener with a single plant (or group of one clone) - absent anything else in the neighborhood that could/would cross-pollinate with it. I'm never going to claim absolutism, but it is seldom the case that a viburnum "selfs" adequately, compared to what you will observe when appropriate non-identical plants are available to cross-pollinate.

Plant one Viburnum nudum 'Winterthur'. You will be the proprietor of a dairy herd at milking time before you will see anything remotely resembling attractive fruit set. Provide a partner like 'Brandywine' - the bovines will seek greener pastures.

The two species Viburnum trilobum and Viburnum opulus are quite similar, overlap in bloom time (or can), and are known to hybridize. If you have had both of these in your former landscape, then I am not surprised that you have had successful and prodigious fruiting. If this was not mentioned when you spoke about those plants, then the chastising commentators had not had full disclosure.

Great fruit/foliage images - wish I could grow those species that well here. They are perfectly suited to your more northerly conditions. They despise the extended heat/humidity of the southerly Ohio River valley region.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

VV when do you say "no mas"? That is quite a list of Cornus.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

They were separated, but not by much. Perhaps 20 feet. Here is the compactum trilobum 'Spring Green'. Small enough to tuck in a corner. And unfortunately my only fall pic was marred by flash, but I think you can have a sense of the fall color. These images were taken over 3 years. It stays small.

And next to it, two dentatum Chicago Lustre. One would have been plenty. It suckers like mad and I was pruning it all the time, but didn't mind. My community had several of the species, and they were nice plants, but lacked the tremendous vigor and beauty of these guys. I can't show you the berries because it was always stripped in days.

I also had a carlesi (supposedly a compactum but a giant) and a prunifolium.

I'm just thrilled that you directed me to a source that would provide the two plants, since I don't have enough space for multiples of them. And I have alot more shade. I am very grateful to you. I'd love to have more, because as you once truly said, one can never have enough viburnums!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack

DonnaMack:

Excellent! I'm glad you have gone forth and been fruitful.

What you can do is continue to inspire others, since every plant doesn't have to be in your landscape. Enjoy borrowed scenery in your neighborhood by tactful recommendations (for what viburnums you don't have room for).

If you are really enthusiastic, you can invest in the plants for them - and make it a donation.

wha:

I won't be able to say that after the order arrives. I have been in severe Cherry Dogwood deficit (only 6 mature 'Golden Glory', 5 mature 'Redstone', and a handful of seedlings) until this opportunity came along to expand the accessions. I had one nice Cornus officinalis 'Kintoki' that was vanquished by the 2007 Easter freeze. I have vowed landscape vengeance ever since.

I expect to be extremely fruitful soon, and to be able to adequately evaluate the relative merits of these selections of really tough ornamental plants.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

VV, I truly look forward to your evaluations.

I love your idea of borrowed scenery. The very wealthy couple next door needed a tree. The wife came to me and asked what she should grow. I always wanted a silver linden (tilia tomentosum). She put in a huge one! I'm a linden lover. I had a Tilia cordata 'Baileyi' (sp?) in my old yard, as well as a Greenspire. 'Baileyi' rocked! Great tree for privacy. The only thing she failed to do was wrap the bark in winter. I have several neighbors with enormous frost cracks on their lindens.

If that many dogwoods is a deficit, what is a surplus like?!!!

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

my thoughts exactly about the alleged "deficit" of dogwoods......................

here is what I have coming - actually arrived yesterday although 3 were missing from the list and those will be sent today.

Japanese maples
Matsu midori A
Renjaku maru
Hino tsukasa
Johnnies pink 5g
Jordan
Cynthia crown jewel
Emerald lace 3g
Wilson's pink 3g
Yasimen 3g
Englishtown
Washi no o 3g

to be received
Kinshi 2 gal
Beni Hime 2 gal
Carlis Corner Broom 3gal

there is also a assortment of dwarf starter conifers from Stanley & Sons and a few additional from Song Sparrow to mix in with the jm's

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

I've succumbed to the tree temptress and just ordered these additions:

Metasequoia glyptostroboides 'waasland'
Upright Dawn Redwood

Tilia petiolaris
Weeping Silver Linden

Populus canescens Pendula
Weeping Poplar

Corylus avellana Pendula
Weeping Hazel

Populus tremula Pendula
Weeping Swedish Aspen

Ok, I'm done for sure. Maybe...

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Ha! I know about that maybe thing! My favorite part? Planting them yourself.

Norridgewock, ME(Zone 5a)

I'm thinking of trying a Chioanthus virginicus (Fringetree) this year. Anyone have experience with this? Also, at a conference last year a speaker mentioned that Acer palmatum Trompenburg has been among the most hardy jm's and I was thinking of trying it in my zone 4b/5a landscape. If anyone has opinions to offer on that idea I'd be grateful.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

My only advice on the fringetree is to see it in bloom before you buy it. I have never seen one that looks like the pictures. The bloom always seems quite sparse. I was considering one but could never find one that was satisfactory. Not sure why.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I have a couple fringe trees. I really like them, though the bloom won't knock your socks off.
But the blooms are so delicate and beautiful, I look forward to their bloom every year.
For some reason, I can't find picture of the whole tree in bloom.
I've seen some fringe trees which are very effective from distance -
I presume the more sun, the better the bloom.
There's an asian version (chionanthus retusus) which I think has less showy bloom.
But I've seen in catalogs this past spring a new cultivar of the asian species called Arnold's Pride, which is supposed to be better. I haven't seen it, however.
Here's another spring bloomer which is unique and I find beautiful: stachyurus praecox.
Mine is in bloom this weekend. Pic 2 & 3 are stachyurus from my yard yesterday.
You can see my trunk protectors on my younger trees (from my annoying deer)...

This message was edited Apr 14, 2013 6:56 AM

Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I found one more picture of one of my fringe trees - but still not the whole tree.
As I said above, I really like them.
But I guess their main drawback is that there's only a single season of interest;
no significant fall color. After bloom, it recedes into the background.
So if you're picking a single specimen tree,
maybe other choices with year-round virtues is better.
But for an accessory small tree, it can be a beautiful choice.

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I just received a ridiculously big formerly containerized Viburnum plicatum 'Pink Beauty' from Plant and Gnome. I putt it against the garage so you can gauge the size.

$17.00, plus $10 shipping! It arrived via Fed Ex in one day. When he was confirming,he reminded me that shipping was $10 PER ORDER!

I can't afford NOT to order from this guy!

This message was edited Apr 25, 2013 4:30 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.