Do you think this would work as a good location for clems?

(Carisa) Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

I have an L- shaped area that screens our a/c unit where I will be putting up a new fence/screen soon. I have been planning to place a 16-inch high raised bed directly in front of the fence, but offset by a foot from the fence, not right against the fence. Well, I have about 4 - 6 clems that need to be rescued from another area and I just thought it would look great to pick the right fence and allow them to climb there. My question is, do you think 16 inches is too much shade on the bottoms of the clems or is that OK? The area gets full sun otherwise, I just don't want the raised bed to shade the Clem's too much. I hope I explained this clearly. Thanks for the help!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Shade for the bottom 16" is not only not a problem but excellent for the clem's - feet in shade, heads in sun. Have fun!

Well, I knew they liked their bottoms shaded, but wasn't sure if that was too much! I have always thought 6 Inches, maybe 8, but wanted to make sure I wasn't going overboard.

There will be rudbeckia planted at the back of that raised bed, but I wouldn't think that would be a problem for the clems regarding getting enough sun. Now, to kill the honeysuckle that has taken over that area first. How long should I wait, I wonder, before planting after killing the honeysuckle? Think I'm going to use brush killer. Looks like I need more research. My Clem's may have to spend a little time in pots, it looks like. This will be worth it, if it turns out great!

You do have to be sure that honeysuckle is really dead. Can you dig it out? I know it's a big job because I've done it and won that war.

Time spent in pots (you can bury the pots and the clem's will still grow - give them a lot of mulch) is well spent compared to believing the honeysuckle is dead when that is not the case. You won't regret the time spent digging the honeysuckle. Give yourself a reward for dong it!

I think I might try a combination of the two, just to be sure. I really want that honeysuckle gone!

I've gone through it and after I was sure I had dug it all out you can guess what happened. It returned, quite happy to be alive and well. I would dig out more soil (just to be safe) and go a greater distance than you might think necessary.

Last year I had to resort to using undiluted Brush Be Gon to rid the gardens of the scourge, Houttuynia cordata 'Chameleon'...but it did work very well.

If you feel determined to kill it with a spray, cut it back first and wait for new leaves to emerge. Then wait for a warm day and spray the new leaves since they take up the poison faster than older leaves. Good luck!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.