April's Shower of Orchids

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Time for a new month of blooms. We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1300647/

This is our main blooming thread so please join in and show us your lovely orchids. I'll start out with Wilsonara Pacific Lush 'Pretty in Pink' which has only one spike but it is long and productive.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

A last look at Cattleya maxima. Brilliant colors and a wonderful fragrance. Eight flowers on this one spike.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Smbdc. Star of Rio 'Rose' AM/AOS. This is a Schobburgkia superbiens cross and thus a rather large plant. I somehow wound up with two of them so will trade one at some point.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

(C. Gene May X Lc. Spoz Tabee Splash) X L. briegeri 'Corpusles'. I think I'll just call it Gene.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

This is Epi Mabel Kanda 'Miyao' X Cordigerum 'Paradise'. It grows up near the roof of the OC and enjoys the sun.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Next up is the largest dancing lady Oncidium that I have. It is in a 8 inch pot that is about to explode. I'll have to figure something out and re-pot after this bloom cycle. It has about ten spikes and this first one is just beginning to open.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Mounted on a piece of tree fern is Brassavola Memoria Bernice Foster. Nice happy plant.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Continuing to bloom is species Cattleya skinneri. This is a nicely behaved small Cattleya.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Providing lots of color on the west side of the OC is Lc. Eva ( C. aurantiaca X L. cinnabarina 'poppy) HCC/AOS.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Brassavola tuberculata is sitting in a tree fern basket and hanging happily from the bottle palm.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

C. Tiffin Bell X Blc. Eward McDonald has darkened its colors with age.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Bollopetalum Midnight Blue 'Cardinal's Roost' is still blooming up a storm. This particular orchid seems to be the heavy hitter in the Bollopetalum world which is closely related to the Zygos.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Leaving the OC now and walking out to Phaius country, these terrestrials are putting on a show.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

This Epi. radicans seems happy hanging from a oak tree in a plastic basket.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Back inside the OC, this is Dendrobium Burana 'Green Star'.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Last but certainly not least is Brassavola Jimminey Cricket. That is it from the OC but it should be enough to get us off to a good start.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Jim, simply a gorgeous SHOW!

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks, Ursula. I hope it is enough to drum up some business here.

Jim

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Wow, hopefully my Phaius look as happy as yours when they are int he ground.

Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

Great show, Jim Beautiful photos as well. I like Jimminey

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Forgive me but I want to post a photo of the ribbon presentation for my Dendrobium nobile hybrid orchid.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Love the Wilsonara at the beginning of the thread. What a lovely shade of pink!

Congrats on the ribbon, Jim!

Melanie

Jim - it looks to be the twin of the one that won at the St Aug soc last month.
I'd be thrilled to have 1 bloom on a Den!!!!

north coast nsw, Australia

thats a awsome photo Jim.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Bree, thanks for explaining about my paph. I'm bummed, but at least I know it wants to bloom. I think the temperature changes here must have caused it to abort.

Melanie

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Beautiful posts, Jim. Thanks for bringing us into April. I'll be a bit slow to catch up. We bit the bullet for an internet reconnect and one month's service for the eight days remaining here. To add...I had to replace my camera. The new one arrived the day before we left for Miami (Saturday). No time to take photos of the beautiful Dendrobiums in the greenhut.

So I won a "grab bag" Orchid tonite and don't have a clue what to do with it. It's a Bulb caruncuietum "Sun Valley". Kind of homely looking bunch of bulbs with just 1 whole & 2 -1/2 leaves.

Funny thing was, both orchids I had raffle tickets for I didn't get but I got a different one. Guess I put the ticket in the wrong cup. The one I got is Dgmra Mem Jay Yamada "Kauai". Funny thing is I have a "Hilo" and a "Maui".......................have this HI theme going.
http://kalapanatropicals.com/store/cart.cgi?action=link&product=70&uid=63

north coast nsw, Australia

congratulations on the orchid win Qwilter. I won a few boxes of chocolates at the rsl tonight. Just what i need after to many easter eggs. hehe!
No new orchid flowers but today i did notice a Cymbidium with a spike forming.

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Qwilter, if I may help out here.
You might have had a problem finding conditions for your Bulbo - the correct spelling is Bulbophyllum carunculatum 'Sun Valley'
http://www.orchidspecies.com/bulbcaruniculatum.htm
according to the link it is a warm and somewhat shady grower.

This message was edited Apr 3, 2013 7:58 AM

Thanks RUK. I was just hoping someone on here was actually growing these. The plant is not potted. I was told to put it in a shallow pot, use a spaghnum and bark mix but that is all the woman there knew.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Out in the OC, I have cleaned all of the windows inside and out. Since you have to take the windows out to get to the back side due to the screen, it is a big job. I did cause me to move several orchids off of a four tier rack and I'm glad I did as I discovered a soft scale infestation on six big Cattleyas. I isolated them and brought out the heavy weapons. I also discovered that my shelving and plant stands are rusting badly so I will have to replace them with plastic or composite material. Any thoughts on where to look is appreciated.

I also discovered Slc. Fire Lighter X Potinara Matt Saftenberg is blooming.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Tetratonia 'Dark Prince', a gift from Laurel the last time we met in Apopka, is blooming as well.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

This is a little Mini Phal NOID but cute nonetheless.

Jim

COSTCO usually has a very heavy duty shelving unit, on wheels, made of a galvanized metal with heavy wire grid shelves. Have seen a similar one at Lowe's.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks, Jean, but I'm looking for something not made of metal. I need plastic or some sort of composite material. The chlorine in the pool along with the salt air and humidity rusts metal immediately.

Jim

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Jim,
Lowes had some nice composite shelving that came with 4 shelves. You could break it down to 2,3 etc. I'm thinking about them as they would make a nice bench in the greenhouse.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks, Melanie. I'll go take a look.

Jim

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I'm worrying and missing my orchids terribly. Holding my breath that the new house sitter is following instructions with a little common sense thrown in. The day and night temps are in a wide range necessitating opening the greenhut during the day and closing it at night. The heat is on timers but it won't help if he leaves the doors open.

Jim, still have the Apopka date on my schedule. All's clear with you?

I've not got much time to check in. We are racing to get the house ready to go on the market and signed with a realtor today.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Yes, Laurel, I think we are on track for our hot date in Apopka. Melanie and I will drive up in the morning and plan to be at Fiirst Orchids by 10:30. Elaine will drive on her own and possibly bring a friend. MJ is a maybe and knows where to meet us. Jean can't make it due to family commitments. Everyone knows the addresses and times including The Catfish Place. I plan on being there at noon unless I hear from you.

Blc. Frank Fordyce 'Waiakea Uka' opened today. I like the color on this one.

Jim

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Ooh Jim, that's so pretty! Looking forward to Apopka!

Melanie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.