April Birthday club

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

There's always room for more folks to join us. If you're just stumbling upon our Birthday thread or have lurked in the past and would like to join the fun, here's how our group works. During your Birth Month, you will receive a Birthday Card from each of the other participants. And in turn, you are to mail a Birthday Card to each participant during their Birth Month. Who doesn't enjoy receiving a thoughtful Card instead of junk mail and bills? A Card and a 1st Class Stamp, it's as simple as that. Purchased and handcrafted Cards are both welcome. Come on and have some fun!!!!

April Birthday's are...
AmandaEsq / Amanda -- April 6

Let's ask our friends to join us!

Current Birthday Club Members:

lanakila/Lanakila -- January 22
rose318 / Patti -- March 18
Goldhillal / Crystal -- March 21
AmandaEsq / Amanda -- April 6
Crit / Patti -- May 10
Mud_Elf / Kris -- May 10
ahoogstra/Alicia -- May 17
taters55 / Linda Kay -- June 13
texaslady62 / Lori -- June 27
Goober_Fairy/Kaitlyn -- August 5
GAgirl1066 / Paula -- September 1
GardenQuail / Michelle -- October 28
Sbish5/ Shirley --- November 1
Hope43 / Twyla -- December 28

HONORARY Member - Neener -- October 9

Rather than one person hosting Birthday Club all the time, we decided to take turns. We still need a host for November, so if you can help, just let us know. It does not take much: just start a new thread for your month, and wish everyone a Happy Birthday when the time comes!

2013 Birthday Club Hosts
January - GardenQuail
February - Lanakila
March - taters55
April - rouxcrew
May -- GardenQuail
June - Goober_Fairy
July - Mud_Elf
August - rose318
September - Goldhillal
October - Taters55
November -
December - Sbish5/Shirley

Meaning of the March Birth Flower: The meaning of the March Birth Flower, the Jonquil (aka Daffodil or Narcissus) is friendship and domestic happiness.

Thumbnail by taters55
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Well here's some good news.

I found last year's birthday card stash and my page of stamps. Heading to the post office this morning. You can never tell who is going to get a belated birthday card.

So here's this awkward situation hah aha h. LK? Thanks for the new thread.

A.

p.s. would it be easier for me to drop out or to volunteer to host November?

This message was edited Apr 1, 2013 10:19 AM

Don't leave us Amanda, your more than welcome here.

Cutlerville, MI

Sending April B-day card out:)

Mountain View, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi, all.
Finally got a chance to drop by :)
LK, thanks for hosting again this month. You might switch your name above for Rouxcrew's as she isn't hosting for April after all.
Rouxcrew, if you're still lurking in the background, I want to add my best wishes. We'll definitely miss you. Hope your shoulder gets better and things go well on the farm. Stop by for a visit when you can :)
Amanda, I'm adding my vote to LK's... We really do want you to stay in Birthday Club :) Oh, and congrats on finding those wayward cards! I'll be watching my mail :)
I know there are still a few people listed above that we haven't heard from in a very long time. I'll continue working on getting dmail out to them in the next couple of weeks so we can finish updating our list. My apologies... meant to have this done a long time ago, but a few things came up that demanded my attention.
Hope everyone had a wonderful Easter!
Just harvested some rose bush seeds from a rose bush in my yard. Wasn't sure when to harvest them, but since the bush is starting to bloom again, I figured it was time :) Will be interesting to see if they'll grow.
Michelle

I have tried several times to grow roses from seed, never had any luck?

Hi, all.
Well, I don't know much about growing roses from seeds. I got a package of seeds to try in 2011, but still haven't planted them. (Still plan to try.) But from what I read, the seeds can take a while to germinate. And they may be a bit picky about what temperature they'll germinate at.But I figure I can give it a try. Perhaps it will work :) Of course, if they all grow, then I'll have to figure out what to do with them all!
Michelle

Henderson, NC(Zone 7b)

Good morning to everyone. Just a bulletin to say for the first time in my life, I had a Birthday in April..yep, that's right and it was a very special day made possible by our Mandy. Thank you so much dear friend for making my day. I could not believe I got a card from you on the very day I sent you a card..go figure. Love and hugs.
Faye

Happy Birthday again Faye! ^_^

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Got a card from Amanda yesterday. Almost on HER birthday! Thanks Amanda!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Hah ah aha - Faye Dearie thank you so much. Court and I had a chuckle over the thought that you were getting your birthday card on the same day as I received yours. Just shows that great minds think alike. Love you and Ray!!! Hope to see you soon. :)

Glad you found your card too Crystal. I probably had more fun sending out that stack of cards and imaging how you would react. ha ha a.

So this year is one of those middle age milestones. Does everyone get here? I mean, I don't really talk to anyone about aches and pains, but they're coming on. Time to stick to the resolve to take my vitamins and go to the gym.

Thanks for putting up with me - I think Susan/FOTV knows how haphazard life is for me right now as when I tell her I am coming to a get-to-gether she says she's not going to tell anyone because she doesn't want to get their hopes up. Sad reputation. I am not sure if I look forward to being a responsible grown up again, but it will happen again one day soon.

Looks like a nice rainy day to stay inside and get things done. Hope you enjoy yours. :D

A.

Henderson, NC(Zone 7b)

Mandy, I'll take you anyway I can get you..lol

Cutlerville, MI

A- We ALL have issues in life...and YES FOTV is very forgiving....as with most everyone here:)
I'm glad you're here!
Ahoogstra

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Does anyone else do native plants?

I started a thread over there if you're interested. We're trying to increase "traffic" in our neck of the woods. :)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1305737/

A.

Hi, all.
Amanda, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :) Your card is in the mail... looks like you'll have a little more celebrating to do later this week as it wasn't mailed til today. Hope you have a very special day today :) Oh, and the card is signed by me and my guide dog :) He was very happy to get home just in time to sign your card :)
My guide dog was up at Guide Dog school for a while doing a refresher course on traffic checking. I realized he was stopping closer to the cars than we wanted him to be. He's doing much better traffic checks now! And it's SOOO nice to have him home again :)
Faye, good to have you stop by :)
Hope you all are doing well. Have a great weekend!
Michelle

Happy Birthday Amanda!!!!!

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Had to pop in to wish you a Happy Birthday, Manda Panda. May all your blooms come true :)
Love ya, kiddo.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine
Henderson, NC(Zone 7b)

Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to our Mandy, Happy Birthday to you. lol, you are one lucky Birthday Girl, you couldn't hear me sing..,.

Cutlerville, MI

Happy birthday Amanda! Hope you are truly blessed today!

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Happy birthday Amanda
I hope you have a wonderful birthday.
Patti

Thumbnail by rose318
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Hello ladies:

I had a great day...spent some time in the garden, some time goofing around, some time doing homework (ok that part wasn't so great), some time playing with my adopted goat the next street over,neighbor lady friend came over with a double layer chocolate cake with chocolate icing, and it was all downhill from there. It is sitting in the refrigerator staring at me with its evil eyes. I wish it would go away, but I can't make I go fast enough. She says it was the recipe on the Hershey's box. If you're familiar with this cake you know what I'm up against.

Expect to spend a little more time in the yard today. Have laundry and homework to catchup on. Should go to the gym to get away from this cake. I will take a knife to it (instead of a fork), slice it up and freeze it. It will be more lethal then. GAH!!!!!

Thank you for the birthday wishes. Unfortunately my "favorite" cousin called from CA at 3:30 a.m. and we talked for an hour. Could not get back to sleep, so now I feel like crud. And a nap.

A.

Oh, I would not have answered the phone at that hour! Hope you got some rest!

Happy belated Birthday Amanda, sorry I am late posting, we were in Austin for a hot rod show, and the La Quinta could not get internet working.

Thumbnail by taters55
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Hey everybody !

I have to check in - it's going to be a LONG quiet month! That's probably good so we can all catch up on gardening chores. I know I will. We hit 80+ today. This has been the longest "winter" that I can remember since moving to NC in 1998. Of course, last year we hardly had winter at all.

I got some beaYOUteeeful birthday greetings from everybody. I don't know where Sooz (FOTV) and Ahoogstra (Alicia) and Taters (LK) get their cards - they almost look identical - so delicate and pretty. I framed the card Sooz sent last year, and I'll probably do it again this year. :D

Ma Schaffer sent me the prettiest card with this giant peacock on it - quite eye catching and colorful. Thanks MA!

Of course, Faye and Ray sent me a card on my birthday, and I sent Faye her birthday card on MY birthday too. hee hee.

Crystal (Goldhillal) sent a photo turned postcard of some wildflowers near her home. I loved that! Very creative! :)

I was also fortunate enough to hear from our honorary member, Neener (Juanita). I felt so special.

Elfie and Goober sent a very pretty card with a happy sentiment in my favorite colors of orange and yellow. Thanks guys. I love hearing from you. :)

I still have some ground to make up for as the belated birthday card Queen, so thanks for overlooking my hiatus and sending happy wishes. I wouldn't trade my DG friends for anything.

Loveya!
A.

Glad to hear you got some pretty cards!

We hit 104 temps today.

Hey everyone, we can now add an avatar picture with our posting. Click on your name from a previous post, go to the bottom where it says picture. Click on that, then scroll down to where it says add avatar.

I did my avatar. This is neat...

Glad your got our card Amanda, Goober will send your a separate card once we get more cards.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the tip, LK. :)

Hi, all.
Amanda, thank you for your card! :) It arrived over the weekend (or was it Monday?). Finally getting a chance to stop by... been doing some garden planning, figuring out where I'm planting all my seeds and some new plants that I ordered.
I harvested the first of the cerinthe seeds for this year! Last year, I didn't begin harvesting seeds until mid to late May. I think the cerinthe started blooming earlier this year. But then, perhaps they got growing sooner, too :) Unfortunately, I'm not sure how many more seeds I'll get this year because I think I need the space for some new daylilies. Perhaps I'll get a few more seeds before I need to pull the cerinthe. Very thankful to have gotten a few since I gave all my others from last year away. This will give me a few to start more later this year :)
Happy gardening!
Michelle

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Pray for Kris's granddaughter who was admitted early this AM to hospital. Not much known yet.

Sending lots of prayers!

I'll be praying, too.
Michelle

Hey everyone. Goober is home and doing ok. She had a total of six grand mal sizures and about 5 smaller ones. She is very tired and is a little wobbly. But is in good spirits. Last night was uneventual. Right now she is visiting her friend and her friends parents are making sure she stays sitting down most of the time. They are playing dolls. Seems to me she should be past that stage at almost 13, bit she is not, so I will not say anything. Guess it is much better than drugs and god knows what else. Her friend only lives 2 doors away so I can walk over in just a minute or so. Plus her mom is a nurse,,, so she is better at the sizures than I am...lol

Glad to hear she is home Kris. Praying they can get those seizures under control soon.

Thought I should let everyone know,, Goldillall / Crystal's Mother-in-law passed away this past Friday. I know she is out of town right now taking care of things. Not sure when she will be back.

I am going to try to go home today. I will have to dodge the thunder storms to get there. Not looking forward to the drive,,,,sigh

Blackshear, GA

Glad she's ok Elfie...be safe going home!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Oh dear. I am sorry there is rain - Kris I am not sure I was aware that Goober was having seizures. I hope all's well.

And thanks for the info about Crystal. We would have noticed her absence! Kris also - please you and goober don't have to send another card silly girls. I loved the one you sent together. :)

I also got Michelle's card with a beautiful butterfly on it. Thanks so much - you know I'm a bug lady. While at Goodwill yesterday I saw some new rubbermaid type containers with lids on - shoebox size - so I bought them to convert into monarch caterpillar palaces this summer. Every year I seem to be unprepared, so this year I'm going gangbusters. :D

Thanks again for helping me limp thru this birthday. I still have a couple of folks I owe cards to, I think from last y ear. Like Faye- who got her birthday card (which occurs naturally in December ) on MY birthday in April. But I had the element of surprise, so it was even more fun.

Happy day!

A.

Kris, thanks for letting us know about Crystals MIL! Sending lots of prayers her way.

Hi, all.
Kris, glad to hear Goober's home now. Will continue praying that the doctors can figure out what is causing the seizures and help her get them under control. Have her stop by and say hello when she can. It's always good to hear from her :)
Sending my condolences to Crystal. Will keep her and her family in my prayers.
Amanda, I hope those caterpillar palaces come out just the way you want them to, and that their intended residents approve :)
I'm trying to be a better gardener this year :) Been pPlanning out how I want to use my growing areas, including some new ones we've added in the yard (yay!). Have some new seeds, bulbs, and plants to try along with some favorites, so it should be a fun year of gardening. And I'm really hoping to do a better job at keeping everything watered properly this year!
Michelle

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Nice Long birthday month. :D

I look at the calendar and think where the heck did it go?!

Everyone doing okay getting their seeds planted, Kris getting her plants moved from place to place?

I'm still doing homework, doing a few seed trades today trying to stay on top of the REAL responsibilities in life.

Hope all's well.

A.

I agree, this month has gone by pretty quick.

Has anyone heard from Crit?

Ladies we have two Birthday girls coming up May 10th, get those cards ready to go out.

This message was edited Apr 20, 2013 4:50 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.