Anyone using sethoxydim?

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

I have a lot of grass that comes up with my bee balm (monarda) every year. I have heard that I can spray the grass with sethoxydim to kill the grass but not harm the flowers?
Thanks,
Candee

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

According to the product label:

"This product kills most annual and hard-to-kill perennial grasses up to 1 foot high including the examples listed below in one (or two) application(s). Young- er, actively growing seedling weeds are more easily killed than older, mature, well-established grassy weeds which may require a repeat application for con- trol. Adding oil concentrate may help control of grassy weeds.
Barnyardgrass Bermudagrass Broadleaf Signalgrass Crabgrass - Large, Smooth Fall Panicum Foxtails - Giant, Green, Yellow Goosegrass Johnsongrass - Seedling, Rhizome Junglerice Lovegrass
Orchardgrass - Seedling Quackgrass Tall Fescue - Seedling Texas Panicum Shattercane/Wildcane Wild Proso Millet Wirestem Muhly Witchgrass Wooly Cupgrass

Note: This product does not control sedges (including Nutsedge or Nutgrass), annual bluegrass, or broadleaf weeds. Red Fescue, Chewings Fescue, Hard Fes- cue, and Dichondra Turfs are also tolerant of ferti-lome Over-The-Top II."

It apparently is effective only on certain classes of monocots and is safe for use on broad leaf plants. I would aviod use near any bulbs, as they are monocots.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Thanks. So it should be fine around my bee balm?

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Should be.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Thanks. I learned about it in my MG class, but wanted to check with the real experts here at DG before using!

Homer, GA

i have a problem with bermuda invading my flower beds and am trying a product called VANTAGE , unfortunately very expensive.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

I got the oil additive and am awaiting results? Is the vantage working for you? Is vantage safe for all perennials?

Homer, GA

acording to the company sales rep. Vantage , is safe for all plants that are not in or related to the grass family. The product appears to be working on the bermuda,more results will tahe a week or longer. there was no apparent effect on
roses or pyracantha. I researched iris which i have a lot of and found they are somehow related to the grass family also lilies, so be careful around these plants.
i hope this information is of some value, all grasses are affected by this product.

georgiacat.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

I think it will work great with dicots but not monocots. I have researched and most of the plants I am using it on are dicots.

Homer, GA

you listed two categories ,what is the difference between dicots and monocots . how are they recognizable?

georgiacat

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

When seeds first sprout they produce either one or two cotyledons or seed leaves. This the basis of the names of the two groups. Each group has its own characteristics. Roughly speaking, monocots = bulbs and grasses, strap-like leaves with parallel veins. Dicots = broadleaved plants. See these two links: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monocotyledon and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dicotyledon

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Thanks greenthumb for the links.
In other words the sethoxydim is made to kill the monocot grasses that are growing in my dicot ornamentals, i.e., monarda! Think it has helped some.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Here is a good chart to follow:

Thumbnail by haighr
Homer, GA

sethoxydim ,will kill grass however, you need to check out
the website.
this product is marketed under several named:
Vantage , poast , torpedo , ultima , conclude , and rezult.

google SETHOXYDIM , and get a complete information package.

georgiacat

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Thanks. Sethoxydim is an additive in a lot of the "grass killer" products. I just checked to see which product had the highest % to get the most bang for my buck. You also have to add an oil concentrate to make it adhere to the leaf.

Homer, GA

i have used the product ,VANTAGE, with success, i am finding that i will have to do two application probably two
months apart. I believe the vantage has a oil additive.
love bermuda but not in my flower beds,may try zothia next year not as invasive.

georgiacat

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Zoysia grass is a warm weather grass around here and is completely brown through the winter months. Some folks around here have it, but it looks nasty in the winter. Should stay nice for you down there in GA!

Homer, GA

you are right about zothia being a warm weather grass,we will in sept. over seed with winter rye,makes a
beatiful lush lawn and by mid spring the zothia takes back over.winter rye is not an expensive seed.some airate before seeding the winter rye.

georgiacat

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Great way to over winter and keep the soil in tiptop shape. What do you do with the winter rye in spring as the zoysia is returning?

Homer, GA

good question, winter rye can not stand the heat and as it dies off the zoysia takes over.winter rye needs to be reseeded annually.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the info.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.