Let's see your 2013 early spring ephemerals!

Coon Rapids, MN(Zone 4b)

Here in Minnesnowta we still have a thick blanket of cold, white stuff on the ground. It would help alleviate my cabin fever if I could see what natives are popping up in other regions.

Coushatta, LA

In my area trilliums,may apples,violets,trout lilies,soloman seal,iris verna,iris crista and many others are in bloom.

Coon Rapids, MN(Zone 4b)

Cowpea, I'm envious. Everything you mentioned, except for the iris, I have in my yard. I'll just have to wait a few weeks to see it. I woke up to 18 degrees this morning. Sometimes I wonder why I live here.

Coushatta, LA

Here is a pic ofTrillium gracile.

Thumbnail by cowpea123
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

That trillium is beautiful!

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Coon Rapids, MN(Zone 4b)

The celandine poppy is gorgeous, too.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks. It is 68° today and going into the mid-70s this week. Things should really start popping up this week.

A young fern ... not an ephemeral but nice growing along with them.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Coushatta, LA

Here is a pic of May apple.

Thumbnail by cowpea123
Coushatta, LA

and another pic

Thumbnail by cowpea123
Coushatta, LA

Here is Trillium ludoviciana.

Thumbnail by cowpea123
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

We have had a delayed warm-up this year, so things are just starting to emerge. These photos were taken today, the first in my yard, the rest a few miles away along the Potomac River in Maryland.

Sharp-Lobed Hepatica - Hepatica acutiloba, and Carolina Spring-Beauty - Claytonia caroliniana
Virginia Bluebells - Mertensia virginica
Spring-Beauty - Claytonia virginica
Wild Columbine - Aquilegia Canadensis
Dutchman's Breeches - Dicentra cucullaria

Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Love spring beauties! Dutchmans blooming already?
My bleeding hearts pink and white are just emerging.
Monarda bradburiana looking very nice see those in plantfiles
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/54870/
Saxifraga virginianus likewise and now putting on several more bloom spikes than the pic i put in plantfiles
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/140943/

This message was edited Apr 7, 2013 9:36 AM

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

The Dutchman's Breeches in the photo is an early riser. There were drifts of plants in various stages of growth but this was the only one with fully mature flowers.

Coon Rapids, MN(Zone 4b)

Thanks for the photos. I have most of these plants in my yard, but with the late spring this year, I'm despairing of ever getting to see them. We're taking a vacation the first two weeks of May, and I'm afraid all my favorite ephemerals will bloom and fade while I'm gone. I'll have to enjoy the spring wildflowers vicariously through the gardeners on this forum.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.