DO YOU HAVE SOME SIGNS OF SPRING 2013? #2

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

SPRING HAS SPRUNG, WE HOPE! So, I have decided to continue this thread for another month at least because many of us are still waiting for those true signs of Spring, be it buds or birds. The trees are just beginning to pop tiny greens and hopefully we can share our next few Spring weeks with each other and enjoy the pictures and posts. I hope you all enjoy following our trials and tribulations of doing what we love the most, tending our gardens and houseplants.

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1299602/

Please check in so we know you found us. Looking forward to some giggles and groans. Have a wonderful Spring. JB

Thumbnail by JBerger
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Some more pics I took before we got the snow on Monday
the last is Salix integra ‘Hakuro-nishiki'

Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

various crocus

Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen
Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Hey, everything works for me. Hope you all find the new link and it makes your life easier since some are still on dial up. Hey Coleup this is just for you, Sweetie! I have other friends who really have a problem when the threads get too long so I can appreciate your situation. Enjoy.

Several years ago I got a floral arrangement with some curley willow in it. When I threw the flowers away, the willow had rooted. Of course I can not throw anything away that has roots, so I planted it in a big pot. Several days later my friend dropped off some cut curley willow stems for me and I rooted them. I planted some and stuck a few more in the pot with the one from the floral arrangement. They all grew and I then twisted them into one stem and left the tops just blow freely. They have gone through Hurricane Sandy, several snow storms, nor'easters, and God knows what else and here they are, today, March 27th just getting some green in their stems. This can only mean they survived another Winter and I am just thrilled. They are indistructable!!!!

Perfect for patio, porch or yard, but I would not suggest yard unless you want the roots to take over. I think keeping them in containers and forming them into different shapes is the best way to go with them. It is also fun.

Do any of you have any plants that you have gotten or planted in a weird way that actually survived and that have surprised you in doing so? Please share if you have.

Thumbnail by JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Jen your garden must be the talk of the neighborhood. It is so lovely and colorful. The Iris, I want to get some of those little ones and I forget what you told me they are called....or did I forget to ask before? Oh God, this is one of those Senior Moments again. Crap.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

JB I love the idea of weavinng curly willow stems together into one "trunk" could resemble those expensive weeping pussywillow trees! humm, ...

Jen I like how you do spring in your yard. So much variety, yet it flows (lol) together.

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh wow. Great pictures flowa! Love the red salix!!!!!

This message was edited Mar 28, 2013 12:23 PM

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh wow. Great pictures flowa!

I love the red salix!!!

This message was edited Mar 28, 2013 2:09 PM

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Quote from UMD_Terp :
Oh wow. Great pictures flowa!

yeah!

Gorgeous daffs JB

This message was edited Mar 28, 2013 2:43 PM

"Pales" in comparison to above and to its real life hue. One of those hard to capture intensities. I'm really surprised how well these anemones survived, but I think I have read some complaints about them taking over.

Thumbnail by sallyg
Central, MD(Zone 7a)

SallyG, I'd be glad to take a starter and help you keep them in check. I actually just planted two anemones from Lazy SS at my gf's mothers house. Pretty Lady Diana and Emily. They are suppose to be more compact and friendlier.

They say this about them:
The next 3 selections are from the 'Pretty Lady' series hybridized by Yoshihiro Kanazawa in Japan to be compact. The having superb flower power with masses of blooms - up to 20 stems per plant. Reliable and sturdy performers. No seed has been noted to date so possibly sterile which would explain the increased blooms. Blooms earlier. After a winter in the ground, starts in July and goes through late Septmeber.

I have yet to experience the anemones but I like that they spread. I'm more of that kind of gardener though.

This message was edited Mar 28, 2013 3:08 PM

This anemone is a tiny Greek one that's grown from funny black tiny bulbs. But if they continue to spread I sure will offer them around.
I saw tall anemones (I think) in New York last September they were gorgeous. Does that GF know what a prize you are- a man who plants flowering plants at GFM house...ahhh. And makes pulled pork. Mein Gott!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

JB, they are Reticulata Iris, the reddish purple is 'George' the white and blue is Katherine 'Hodgkins' the dark blue is 'Harmony'

LOVE that curly willow!!!

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Thanks Jen.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

You're welcome

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Jen, I have just got to get me more of those Reticulata Iris. They are just so beautiful.
Sally, Those anemones sure are pretty.
JB, Nice willow hope you have plenty of space for it. What I though was going to be a nice 6 ft bush is turning into a tree and it has to come out, very soon.
So I have this coming up in one of my beds and couldn't think what it might be. Had to ask on the ID Forum. They said it is some kind of Petasites japonica. Looked it up and remembered I had what I thought was a Lingularia growing there. So at this point I will have to figure out exactly what it is but it's pretty interesting. There should be two of them growing in there one I had bought a few years ago and another one that I think may have come from a swap. So either I lost one of them or I have two different but similar plants growing in there. Poor thing heaved over the winter, barely planted and still growing.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

that's interesting looking!

looks like Petasites, and I did have some to give away at swap. Thinking Paul took one.

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Nice recall Sally! I was interested in your petasites but actual day of passed on them for some reason.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thank you Sally, For helping me with my mystery, bet the Lingularia is still sleeping next to the petasites. Do you know what variety of petasites?

This message was edited Mar 29, 2013 6:58 AM

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Holly, that willow is in a pot and is going no where but there. They are too invasive but fun to play with if you keep them in confined to a container. This one even had a root going through the one drain hole in the pot and into the ground. I have to keep moving the container or it will try and get into the ground under the container.

Do you have any particular place where we could purchase those Reticulata Iris? I have not had time to google them. I would guess eBay would have some. Will try and take time to check it out today and I will let you know.

Have a Blessed Day for those of you who are celebrating Good Friday. For my Jewish Friends, Happy Passover to you and to those of you who are not into either, just have a wonderful day.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I did find them on a site but didn't mark it so I will have to look again. They did have a nice selection of them.

ok, well, really GOOD recall would be what I now recall- that Paul was interested initially because my Petasites used to be variegated, but I fessed up that it may have lost it and reverted to all-green. I recalled somebody being curious but passing it by, and somebody else taking it. I think David may have some.
THe flower of Petasites does not get showy- this stage is unique, I found it really interesting the first time I saw it too. Its the huge leaves that people want. So Holly- your Petasites may show some streaks of cream-white but may be all green. 'jody' gave me the variegated 5-6 years ago.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

How big did yours get. I remember last year that it was maybe 2ft and I think it flowered better than the Lingularia. This is when the pictures I lost would come in real handy. I have been doing pretty well with keeping a plants list in my journal but I think I should start more of a daily garden journal and now at the begining of the season would be a good time to start.

My Petasites leaves have gotten to about a foot around at most- but I have really messed around with the poor thing, not having a good place ready for it, letting other things grow on top...would be a total guess whether the variegation genes in it will keep it any smaller than the big one.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

I think that this plant could benefit from a user-friendly 'common name'

haha Petasites sounds too much like "pest!"

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

"button burr" doesn't make it, but Japanese Forest Rhubarb might!

JFR sure has a lot more style and intrigue!

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Quote from JBerger :

Have a Blessed Day for those of you who are celebrating Good Friday. For my Jewish Friends, Happy Passover to you and to those of you who are not into either, just have a wonderful day.

Ditto everyone far and near.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

JFR's

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

JB, I got the reticulated iris from Brent and Becky's and High Country Gardens

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Let's see, I love all your pics!!! The anemone is lovely.

I returned home yesterday around noon after being on a redeye from OR and slept from 7:30 last night to 10 this morning. did a partial walkabout and I have some crocus and daffs blooming. Will look closer tomorrow. Oregon was gorgeous! Lots of fruit trees were blooming when I left. Lots of bulbs and camellias, too. Loverly!!!

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

One of the best signs of Spring so far is having you back home safe and sound!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Jan, I agree with Coleup, very glad you are home.
I was just over at a neighbors garden and he has 2 different Reticulated Iris a dark blue and purple. Looks like I will be getting a few of each once they are done blooming. I am going to order the 'Katharine Hodgkin' and share some of them with him.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Boy things are popping up every where. Here are a few more crocus and hellebore pics. I was so excited to see that the big Alliums are coming up. They were just put in last fall and I can't wait to see them bloom.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Me too - glad you are home! I know Jill was talking about doing a big fall bulb order similar to the big lily order she is doing this spring. I'll jump in on any reticulated iris interest. Saw some blooming at her house last evening - they look nice in the photos, but you can't help but be smitten when you see them in person.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Thanks, youse guys!!! MUST get in the garden.

The Reticulated iris are very cute

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Nice pics Jen love the iris, We have a friend told me to come dig some of his after they finish blooming. That name High Country Gardens sound awfully familiar.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

My Bluebells are popping up! God bless cause I moved mine and they don't like to be moved much.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.