Does anyone grow "Mojito Mint?"

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I'm looking for mint to make Mojitos, and there's supposed to be a special kind of mint. In the past I made them with regular spearmint, but I have come to believe that there is a special Mojito Mint.

Rancho Santa Rita, TX(Zone 8a)

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/99093/

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I grow Mojito Mint, Carrie. It is one of my favorites. Delish!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Great! Is it really DIFFERENT from average spearmint, M. spicata? If I send you postage, could you send me a sprig?

Yes, BB, I wanted to find someone who has actually tasted it. I drink mojitos often, well, at some restaurants, but I don't think they're using any special mint, just "Joe the mint,"

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

I have both mojito and spear mints. I just did a test, and I think the mojito has a bit sweeter taste and smell to it. I have no idea, but my thought is the mojito drink probably came about before the mojito mint -- ??

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

It says some places that Mojito Mint is "endemic to Cuba," which can't be true because I believe the mint came from Europe to begin with. But I'm willing to believe that Sir Francis Drake had a drink made with proto-rum, Cuban limes and mint found in Cuba and it was later called Mojito, and then "Mojito mint" is marketed to people like me!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Mine is M. villosa and different from the M. spicata (spearmint) I have. I luv the Mojito - it's one of my faves. But I'm repeating myself. :)

I'll be happy to send you some once it is growing well again here. We're just coming out of winter. I'll try to remember.

Carole

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Carole, if you don't mind, I'd love it.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Not at all. Just need to give it a little time to rebound from winter. I think I'll remember but if I don't, please jog my memory.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I shall. ^_^

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

^_^

Goshen, IN(Zone 5b)

I realize the last comment posted on this thread was done over a year ago, but I just bought a beautiful Mojito mint plant from The Gardeners Exchange. I ordered a new spearmint at the same time, and I'd have to say the Mojito has a much more citrusy scent than the Kentucky Colonel spearmint. Hope all of yours are growing and happy!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.