Are you more inside or outside these days?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)
There are a total of 110 votes:

Nice and warm here, I'm usually outside.
(17 votes, 15%)
Red dot

Winter is still hanging around. I'm mostly indoors.
(45 votes, 40%)
Red dot

It is warm at my home year-round, so I garden outdoors all the time.
(10 votes, 9%)
Red dot

Just a few nice days so far, but I'm making the most of them!
(30 votes, 27%)
Red dot

Other (tell us!)
(8 votes, 7%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Solace, thank you for the advice. I'm not too bad. I'm eating too well to be sick. lol

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quote from juhur7 :
Last years Volcano ??? or some before? Seems to always get you folks on the British Islands ..

No major volcanic eruptions in the last year. Paradoxically, it is probably due to global warming - reduced sea ice in the Arctic Ocean has changed Northern Hemisphere wind patterns in the winter. In the past, Britain got mostly west winds in winter, off the warm Atlantic Ocean, but now the winds have switched to a much higher frequency of east, bringing cold continental air from Siberia.

Resin

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Dream. I did get the project done on Friday.

Thumbnail by pirl
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Yes Resin And ' those Eastern winds from Siberia have been colder previously because of Icelandic Eruption of Volcanoes As in the one that grounded all the air traffic >>I don't doubt you though .... Wind pattern is what it is when your the the one it gets unto .. First it could of caused pollution fires then much , much colder weather , It all goes together somehow ,,?
Even the Volcanoes near those latitudes , in Alaska have been more active in the time frame cause , ice melts from under currents being warmer allowing the ice to warm and melt,(and the earth also stays warmer ,when it is there) but the ash blocks the heat from the Sun and the air stays colder....

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Very nice, pirl. I wish I had even a little of your energy and creativity.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Resin, thank you for the response. My question may sound silly to those who live in areas with frequent snow, but I grew up here where there is virtually no snow. There is so much I don't know about what it's like to live with snow. What is 'normal', and what isn't. We get a light dusting once every 10yrs or so, and it melts by the following morning if not sooner. Whenever we see a few snowflakes dancing in the wind, we get all excited and hope it will 'stick' (which it usually does not). I cannot imagine having snow so high it covers the windows and buries the car. When it comes to snow, I live vicariously through you guys. Thanks for the info.

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

I'm not cleaning up anything until I get a complete week with night temps in the 50's consistently. Today its 30's for today and tomorrows day time high. lower 40's for Wednesday, 50 for Thursday, and upper 40's for Friday and Saturday with rain Saturday. Night time temps will still be in the 20 and 30's. I'm impatient but not THAT impatient.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quote from DreamOfSpring :
Resin, thank you for the response. My question may sound silly to those who live in areas with frequent snow, but I grew up here where there is virtually no snow. There is so much I don't know about what it's like to live with snow. What is 'normal', and what isn't. We get a light dusting once every 10yrs or so, and it melts by the following morning if not sooner. Whenever we see a few snowflakes dancing in the wind, we get all excited and hope it will 'stick' (which it usually does not). I cannot imagine having snow so high it covers the windows and buries the car. When it comes to snow, I live vicariously through you guys. Thanks for the info.

You're welcome! "Normal" snow here would vary from 1-2 cm two or three times through in a milder winter, to around 10 cm once or twice in an average winter. Deep snow like this is very rare, maybe once every 20 years or so, and at that, in the Jan - Feb period, not March.

The only exception is the higher mountains of Scotland, where this sort of deep snow is normal above about 600 metres altitude (they have ski resorts there, but those altitudes are otherwise uninhabited).

Resin

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

That snow scene is incredible and unimaginable to me.

Dreams - thanks. It was much more work just moving the pea gravel to other spots. It's a job I thought would take two days but it ended up 8 days.

Cece - I braved it with raking at 25 degrees (wind chill) by wearing two jackets (love that fleece) and double gloves. The surgical ones are great under typical outdoor gloves. Keep your back to the wind and only work in sunshine. When the sun goes into hiding I try to do the same thing. During March I worked 75 hours (I do keep track) and I'm so glad that I'm so far ahead of the spring work.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Resin,

For some reason geography, including information about the various characteristics of places, was never of interest to me in school, but since I've been here at DG I've learned a great deal about such things. Somehow 'knowing' the people in those areas makes it so much more real to me and thus more interesting. Thanks for helping me to learn more about your area (and about snow).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.