New to DG

Dewey, AZ(Zone 7a)

I have so enjoyed seeing the lovely gardens in this cottage garden forum. I've got a little studying to do to learn what constitutes a cottage garden, but here are some pictures of what I've done with beds along the front of our place over four years. When we moved in, it was basically a 10' x 80' strip of white gravel with landscape fabric underneath. Good exercise, hauling all that rock out.

First and second, larkspur, yarrow, poppy and others.
Third, Peggy Martin rose along the veggie garden fence.
Fourth, Larkspur (loves the sand out here).
Fifth, "Pete" in front of the Vitex I planted when we moved in. Apparently it really responds to water, because when I planted it, Pete was taller. Each spring I rubbed the sprouts off the branches and pruned it into a tree form, and now it's up past the eves of the house.

We're moving to a house in town in a few weeks, and I'll have to start all over, but I just can't seem to mind too much!

Thumbnail by TexasDollie Thumbnail by TexasDollie Thumbnail by TexasDollie Thumbnail by TexasDollie Thumbnail by TexasDollie
Pretoria, South Africa

TexasDollie,

Welcome to DG. I have been a member since 2007, and not one day has gone by that I haven't visited at least once or twice. Feel free to ask these lovely friendly people anything...

Elsa

This message was edited Mar 25, 2013 7:23 PM

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

New to DG, but obviously not new to gardening! Welcome, I'm sure you'll have fun here.

Pam

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Hi, you're flowers are beautiful, just LOVE the red poppies!!! Look at it as a new painting to color to your hearts content!!! Make sure you collect seed from your plants. And WOW, great job on that rose!!! Spectacular...

Dewey, AZ(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Elsa, Pam, & Kathy! I am thrilled to have a new yard--the soil there is good enough to eat. (Well, almost.) Once we move I will unpack The Great Seed Stash and have a better trade list w/ some of those larkspur and poppies to share to anybody who wants them. Holy cow, they're prolific.

Oddly enough, the Peggy Martin almost died this last year. Every single cane is dried and dead. This land we're living on is pure sand, and two years of hard drought and evil sand-swimming gophers just did it in. There's new growth coming out of the base of it, though, and I have a healthy potted cutting to take with me. Can't wait to get it to the new place and give it a home with real dirt!

More photos:
Red poppy (they ham for the camera)
Lady Banks yellow
Red Cascade climber
Autumn aster (? variety?)
Yellow Bells, Esperanza

Thumbnail by TexasDollie Thumbnail by TexasDollie Thumbnail by TexasDollie Thumbnail by TexasDollie Thumbnail by TexasDollie
Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Me!!!! I'm waving my hand...... Lol. I'd LOVE some of your Poppies, am trying to add more true red... I have many flowers that you might like in return, take a look at my list by clicking on my name. Also have many that aren't on my list yet..gosh I need to update that thing. Let me know.

Love your Roses, I'm hoping maybe one days I'll have Roses that look as good as yours...I have this one at my daughter's house and just haven't decided where I want to put a piece of it at my home yet.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Sorry, not downloading as it should, am trying again......Shucks, sorry.

Pretoria, South Africa

I would definitely also be interested in your poppy seed.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

>> I am thrilled to have a new yard--the soil there is good enough to eat.

Envy, envy, envy, envy!

My favorite poppy is "Mikado", a CA poppy.
But few sprouted and none came back last year.
I had better luck with some yellow CA poppies - they seemed to LIKE being in a damp bed!

Thumbnail by RickCorey_WA Thumbnail by RickCorey_WA Thumbnail by RickCorey_WA Thumbnail by RickCorey_WA Thumbnail by RickCorey_WA
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Nice poppies! And pleased to meet another cottage gardener although I'm thinking my yard is more meadow these days.

Along with the ooohs and aaahhhhs above, above, compliments re the Esperanza. I've been meaning to start them from seed I've received in trade. Seeing yours reminded me again. ;)

Thanks! And happy to share anything I have to grow in your yummy soil. Good luck.

A.

Dewey, AZ(Zone 7a)

You guys are awesome. Thanks for the welcome! I will have seeds to send in mid to late May, which is when we'll be moved in and unpacked...and I can get to my Seed Stash. :~) Of course, I'll have all kinds of seeds then, so I'll amend my Tradelist.

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Hey everyone.

Beautiful pics, Dollie. You'll be able to paint your own palette when you start fresh and is obvious you have good gardening skills under your belt already. I started with nothing four years ago too. Didn't even have a seed. Now there are more in my stash than I know what to do with. Bet I'm not alone making that statement...lol I'll be happy to share seeds and plants with you when you get settled at your new place. D-mail me when you're ready. Love paying it forward as so many generous DG'ers helped me.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Froot - always love your pics - such a riot of color. :D

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

Fruit- love all your colors!

What's the tall lavender in pic 4? Is it Agastache? Is it the same as in the foreground pic 3?

Litchfield Park, AZ

What a beautiful garden. So lush and so many different flowers.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Pfg - I think it is A. rupestris. I've been coveting for years. ;)

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Agastache mexicali is in the 3rd pic.
In pic 4, A. Golden Jubilee is in the foreground with bluish purple spikes and A. Tutti Fruitti is the tall one in the background with pinkish lavender blooms.

Athens, PA

Dollie

Welcome - I really love your photos and your larkspur is so gorgeous. I love larkspur, but for some reason it doesn't like me.

Sooze - love the Tutti Fruiti - always such beautiful photos from your gardens.

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

Beautiful pics, everyone! Welcome, Dollie! I can't imagine moving, after putting so much time and money into my yard and gardens. That must be difficult. My husband dreams of downsizing some day---but I'm not leaving my flowers......ever! LOL.

Thumbnail by kosk0025

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.