Black Horns & Horns

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Does anyone have for sale Black Horns & Horns, The only place that has Black Horns is John Benz & he only sells in a collection & he is out of Horns. Does anyone know Where I could buy either one of these. I have 17 teeth daylilies coming from other growers this spring.

I am up to spending over $9,000 in the last 3 years on daylilies.Wife passed away 25 years ago of cancer & I don't drink or smoke so I guess I could spend a little on myself.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Roseman, I agree with you. You deserve it! Treat yourself!
I am not aware of any source other than Mr Benz. I believe that will change after this season when all the folks that spent big money last season on Black Horns on the LA try to recoup some of that initial cost. MHO

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I couldnt agree more. Treat yourself and enjoy life. With 17 coming this spring, sounds like your going to be producing your own horns. Thats more fun anyway ;-)

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

I know Black Horns is hard to get but I will lrave my E -Mail address if someone has one for sale, My E Mail address is jethacker4488@hotmail
I hope to jet Beastman this spring, A guy on the lily auction had several seeds with a cross of black horns on the auction. I did buy some seeds that were Dr Stump X Dr Stump on the auction so I would take seeds of Black Horns X Black Horns if anyone has any.

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

I forgot to put .com on jethacker4488@hotmail.com

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Rich has a sf of Horns listed on the LA, if your still looking.

Deadliest Catch is at 230$, what teeth that flower has tho.

This message was edited Jun 20, 2013 12:48 PM

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

A seedling of Gaskins Randy Stephens x Dr Stump on the la is at $760.00 & one of Gaskins Randy stephens X Gnawing of teeth is at $700.00 & she has Dr Stump at $215.00 All still 2 days to go. You got to dig all the way down to your socks to pay for these.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

LOL, I made whole thread just for that, she was up to 5K in bids, and thats with 2 days to go. Some if it is that they sold their property and are moving. Maybe the last chance. Most of it tho is...um ......well, I really dont know. ;-)

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

I talked to Mary & they are closing this fall & moving to a small house & they are taking a few daylilies with them, Mary said it's time to give it up,

Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7b)

Hey Roseman do you want to get married? That way you could spend that kind of money on me!

Linda

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Linda you are soooo funny!
I personally dread the day when I can not do this anymore!!

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Linda My wife died 25 years ago of cancer & I never got married So don't talk to loud because I might take you up on if, I raised roses for 40 years & I then got into daylilies, Wish I had done this sooner.

Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7b)

Roseman I just want to know if you think Roses are easier or are Daylilies easier?
My mom would go to someones house and if she saw a rose she liked and didn't have, she would break off a branch, bring it home and Voila....a new rose bush.

I have roses, but mine are about 18 years now and a few are not looking any better than me. Lol

Mike, I'd marry you, if you would spend lots of money on me! Double LOL

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Linda..They are about the same on raising them but here in Des Moines ,IA it gets colder and it warms up in the spring & the roses start growing & then they freeze. I have roses grow about 8" tall then it would get to 15 degrees & they will NOT come back when it warms up, When the sap comes up into the rose & then it freezes it kills it as where in the fall the sap slowly goes back to the root & then the cold don't bother them.

I lost over 100 roses 2 years in a row when that happened, The weather pattern has changed so much in the last 10 years. Thats when I found something else to grow. I though rose cost were high until I got into Daylilies HAHA. I like the daylilies much more!! NO THORNS on daylilies
It's getting harder doing this by myself, My Grandson lives with me but he doesn't like daylilies

The weather changes that have been happing has a lot to do with the way man has changed the earth so much. 125 hundred years ago we didn't have all of the houses with dark roofs & all of the greenery we lost with the paved parking lots & highways It lets all of the heat go back up as where if we had green grass the heat wound soak into the ground. I had talked to my brother a lot about the weather changes because he worked for NASA & launched all of the satalites, He was Division Chief at Vandenberg Air Force Base in California & at Cape Caniveral in Florida for all Delta Rockets. I lost him to cancer 4 years ago.

Iinda.. Do you take of your daylilies by yourself.??

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Roseman, your GS might not like daylilies but, I am sure he would like to make some money helping out.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Sorry to hear about you losing your wife and all your roses as well................... your yard must have been a beautiful site with that many roses! I love roses, but they aren't really crazy about our humidity here. I have a few - but I am definitely not an expert when it comes to caring for them. I had a rose garden started but the deer wiped it out. I hope to eventually replant it - but in the fenced in back yard so MAYBE they won't eat them all this time!! :(

Thankfully there are so many DLs that some are cheap! Or else some of us wouldn't be able to have any!! ^_^

Genna

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Roses are so much harder to take care of. I only have one now and it is a climbing pink that I think is called New Dawn or something like that.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

I agree! Especially down here.... constant spraying and fertilizing and watering...... but there is a hospital in the town where my husband grew up that has roses lining the hospital and they are always beautiful. Not sure who tends to them, but I am sure when they are gone - the roses will be too :( It is proof that with a lot of tlc there can be beautiful roses grown here though.

Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7b)

Yes Roseman...I are it! I have a small house and a smallish yard and keep trying to find places to put in more daylilies. I moved to this God Forsaken area from the Gulf Coast in Navarre FL. I had Gardenias growing all year and huge huge daylilies, Azaleas, Mexican Heather etc. etc..

I really miss all the green there. Trying to find things that will do well here is a real bear. I tried 3 times on a Lilac before I finally got one to bloom and grow. I can't remember the other things I have tried to no avail. The soil is bad (what soil? mostly sand) and very alkaline. I couldn't even grow plants that do well in Nevada. I had them in Florida and they look like trees now. (Can't remember what they are called) Starts with an "O"! CRS is getting to me. LOL

I grew up in the Rogue River Valley in southern Oregon, and the roses did very well there. I know what you mean about them starting to grow then getting a freeze. It has happened here for the past 2 years.

Linda

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Wow - Linda - that must have been a shock to go from Florida to New Mexico!!!

Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7b)

Gen 2026....I'm still shocked!

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Linda.. You should move here to Iowa, We have the some of the most riches soil in the country .Even the weeds grow big here..

Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7b)

I don't think so. Iowa doesn't sound appealing and it would be too expensive for me. I'm really looking at the Blue Ridge area in Georgia. One thing for sure, it would be my LAST move! LOL

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

LOL... I thought that when we moved to our home almost 10 yrs ago............. now it looks like I am going to be moving again. My husband had to change jobs in February and now works 100 miles away. Then week before last, they announced that they are putting our plant in storage and several of us will be losing out jobs. I may have a chance to transfer about 45 miles away - and it is at least in the direction of my husband's job............so looks like we will be leaving the house that we built and moving away. :(

I so DREAD the thought of moving...................... not to mention that we have emptied my parent's house and his since we have moved in so we have lots of extra "stuff"..............

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.