Hoppin' John

Ozark, MO(Zone 6a)

OK, Southerners - tell me about Hoppin' John. That dish isn't part of our culture here in the Ozarks, so my wife and I just recently discovered it when two canned brands appeared in our local markets. There's a big difference between the two - one brand is blackeyed peas, tomatoes, onions, and peppers, and the peppers are HOT. The other brand has the same ingredients plus rice, and it isn't nearly as hot. We like the second one better.

I know my wife can make it better than the canned versions. For a start I got some frozen purple-hull peas (I like those better than blackeyes). I also did some reading about it and found that the real name sounds similar to "Hoppin' John" in a West African language, and the dish was introduced to this country by slaves. Cool.

Does anyone here make Hoppin' John, and what can you tell me about it?

This thread has 5 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!