Trunk rot? Is my magnolia a goner?

Saint Petersburg, FL

I'm a beginner and think I committed a cardinal sin: letting mulch get too close to the trunk of this magnolia planted two years ago. Is it possibly just a fungus among us? Is it treatable or should I put it out of its misery? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thumbnail by kitchyjenny Thumbnail by kitchyjenny
Saint Petersburg, FL

Third photo is one a few hours after letting it dry out from the rain and mulch surrounding it.

Thumbnail by kitchyjenny
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

It may just be surface mould on the bark, not harming the tree. Exposure to the air should soon kill it off. Wait to see how the tree does through the summer.

Resin

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

If the weather will be clear for a week or so, sprinkle cinnamon on the area as it is a natural fungicide/bactericide/insecticide that might dry it out a bit and prevent it from getting worse. I'd kinda cake it on if you can like a compress.

Saint Petersburg, FL

Thank you both so much. I'm relieved to know it might be salvageable. I'll try the cinnamon tomorrow as it's been raining all weekend. This was my first post as a new subscriber to this forum and I am beyond thankful for the help of those more knowledgeable than myself.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

No problem. I noticed you're a new member and subscriber. Welcome aboard!

Saint Petersburg, FL

Thanks, Growin! Long time listener, first time caller. ;-) I just caked on some cinnamon this morning, so I'll cross my fingers and give an update soon.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Let us know how it works out and if the fungal issues clear up. It might take a while to heal and dry out.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.