Pink Show-Me Hybrid grow out

Sumner, MO(Zone 5b)

For several years I have been working to develop an OP version of the Pink Show-Me hybrid. This is an absolutely beautiful pink tomato with a supurb taste--just the right balance of sugars and acids. Its taste is close to the old-fashioned tomatoes my mother grew. Plants are very productive. Size is mostly in the 6-8 oz range with some at 4-5oz, so it is not a big tomato. I have been growing and selecting for several years. The 6 plants in 2012 produced tomatoes true to color and taste. If the 2013 grow out continues to show genetic stability, I plan to offer seeds in the 2014 SSE Yearbook and possibly to other DG subscribers.

Here is some history: The hybrid was developed by Univ. of Missouri horticulturist Victor Lambeth (who developed about 50 tomato varieties) and first offered for sale in 1977. It was supposedly a cross of Florida 1011 and MO 31-St-29. It was very popular regionally because of its taste and ability to thrive in a hot and often humid climate. The hybrid seeds were commercialy available until about 2005 when the breeder (name not known to me) stopped producing the seeds. Dr. Lambeth died in 2006.

West Babylon, NY(Zone 7a)

Got any photos?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.