Flower Shows

Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

It's the season for Flower Shows! Please post pics of shows you have visited or participated-in. I'll start off with a visit to Toronto's 'Canada Blooms' show, held in the Direct Energy Centre at Exhibition Place this March. I apologize in advance for my terrible photography, and hope that everyone else has better pics.

Thumbnail by June_Ontario
Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

The Genoscape Garden had pleasing water features, including some splendid large urns (or are they vases?)

Thumbnail by June_Ontario Thumbnail by June_Ontario
Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

The 'Sensory Garden' had fragrant lilies and a fake fireplace, and hosted the Reif Estates wine tasting bar. I enjoyed a glass of sweet ice-wine here.

Thumbnail by June_Ontario Thumbnail by June_Ontario
Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

There was weirdly wonderful floral art, as well as a dog-house with a "green" roof, metal flower sculptures, and a tree-trunk bench.

Thumbnail by June_Ontario Thumbnail by June_Ontario Thumbnail by June_Ontario Thumbnail by June_Ontario Thumbnail by June_Ontario
Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

The Irish Tourism garden was full of neolithic-looking stones, moss, mist, shamrocks, and flying dragons.

Thumbnail by June_Ontario Thumbnail by June_Ontario Thumbnail by June_Ontario
Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

In the 'Showcase' area, among other things there were fancy-leaved Begonias, a pink-flowered Medinilla magnifica, and a cruelly plaited succulent (is it Sanseveria cylindrica?)

Thumbnail by June_Ontario Thumbnail by June_Ontario Thumbnail by June_Ontario
Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

The 'Sugar Bush' garden had maple syrup jars and woodland planting. The 'Chinese Culture' garden had a young gentleman dispensing tea and propaganda. The 'Swim & Spa' garden had an impressively large pool and a jacuzzi that looked like an inverted flying-saucer, coloured lights and all. The 'Magic of Teamwork' gardeners had assembled some real bedding plants.

Thumbnail by June_Ontario Thumbnail by June_Ontario Thumbnail by June_Ontario Thumbnail by June_Ontario Thumbnail by June_Ontario
Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

Last, but not least, there were plants for sale.

(Zone 4b)

Thanks for posting June. I too was at CANADA BLOOMS but I only went this time as I was given 2 free VIP passes. I am not interested in indoor gardens. I think the big advantage of this show (over others) is that it is the first of the season.

Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

I agree, rouge. The main reason I went to the show was to see some foliage and flowers, because winter seems to have gone on far too long. And people weren't the only ones enjoying the early blooms. Did you see the flock of sparrows inside the building, joyfully flying from cherry tree to cherry tree in the indoor gardens, eating the blossoms?

Brisvegas, Australia(Zone 12b)

Great pictures June.
I was going to add some Pictures but I am in Summer time, so I feel that is cheating.
I do have some Alaskan winter Plant Pictures though.

(Zone 4b)

FWIW the next indoor garden show in Ontario that I am aware of is in Peterborough http://peterboroughgardens.ca/Showhome.html

This message was edited Mar 22, 2013 12:46 PM

Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

That Peterborough link is not working for me, rouge. Not to worry, this happens to me a lot! I'll just Google it.

Kell, an Australian flower show would surely be interesting, whatever the season.

(Zone 4b)

Try again June.

Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

Thanks, rouge. Now it's working! Are you going to the Peterborough show?

(Zone 4b)

June, I have been there in the past and I did like it. But to be honest I probably only go to the indoor shows as a diversion seeing that I do get antsy this time of year not being able to do "real" outdoor spring gardening! And given that I went to BLOOMS and bought some pruning shears and another "better than sliced bread" garden hose I think I will not go to any more.

Having said that I really enjoy going to outdoor residential garden tours through the summer.

Maybe we can set up a thread dedicated to these events.

This Picture was taken in Brisvegas.

Thumbnail by ginger749
Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

Rouge, was the hose that you bought at the show the crinkled one that un-pleats like an accordian? I looked at that, thought it looked very strange, and was too chicken to buy one. I probably won't make it to the Peterborough show, as I Googled the route and for me it would be a 217 km journey with an estimated travel time of two-and-a-half hours, which is about twice what I am comfortable driving. I took a tour bus down to Canada Blooms!

Kell, what the devil is that prehistoric-looking THING!

Before I tell you, I want to add a few other Colours of the same Prehistoric Plant.

Some other Canadians might know.

Thumbnail by ginger749

They do look a tad like a Pine Cone.

Thumbnail by ginger749

It is quite big.

Thumbnail by ginger749
Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

Stop bragging! Oh, you mean the "pine cone".

Yes June, I do mean the 'Çones'.

These plants are some of the most interesting plants in the world.
They are found on many continents, generally in tropical or subtropical areas.
What’s interesting about them is that they have survived from the age of dinosaurs.
They used to dominate the plant kingdom.
What is left of them today, is a tiny amount compared to how many they once were.

Thumbnail by ginger749
Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

I thought you were referring to your hat.

Hmm, are these plants Cycads?

Yes they sure are June.
They are all in full bloom at the moment.

Thumbnail by ginger749
Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

Amazing! The dinosaurs must have enjoyed snacking on them.

This is my last Picture of the coloured Cones.
You must be bored with them by now.

Thumbnail by ginger749
Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

Not bored! I've enjoyed looking at your excellent pics. The cones are like works of art!

All those last Pictures were taken in the Mt. Cootha Botanical Garden. (Brisvegas)
But this one grows right here at home.
Of cause this is the Female Plant.
Females don't have Cones.

Thumbnail by ginger749
Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

There's no hat to give the pic scale. Is she a big girl?

The ball like thing is 20" in diameter.
This was the day the ball burst open and spread its seeds.

Thumbnail by ginger749

Close up detail of hairy ball.

Thumbnail by ginger749
Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

It is not so lovely when it ripens. It looks like a mouldy cabbage exploded. I hope it smells better than it looks. Did you plant the seeds?

The plant was given to me when 2" tall in a pot.
Yes it does look like a tad like road kill.
And no there is no smell at all.
Every one of these red seeds will eventually grow into a new plant if not eaten by critters.

Thumbnail by ginger749

This is a Male Cone from an identical Cycad at a Car Yard in Brisvegas.

Thumbnail by ginger749
Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

It makes quite an impression!

Yes it does.
It's almost yelling out look at me!
This is a more humble male.

Thumbnail by ginger749

This is a white one.

Thumbnail by ginger749 Thumbnail by ginger749
Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

I never knew there was so much variation in Cycad blooms. How are they pollinated - by wind, insects, birds, or what?

I can't answer that question June.
I am an Artist who takes Pictures.

This is another Cycad that I have growing here at Home.
It is called a 'Çardboard Cycad'. (yes, it is a bloom)
God only knows where they get these crazy names.

Thumbnail by ginger749

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.