A few photos of my new birdhouses

Edinburg, TX

A while back I fenced in another 2500 square feet into my backyard so am trying to fix it up little by little. Have been adding bird houses to the fence posts as usable bird-friendly decorations. Am sure they'll be used by dratted sparrows but oh well...am hoping those birds will eat skeeters and other pesky bugs too.

Bought the chunky resin bird at one of those dollar type stores for $6.00 and drilled an entrance hole and painted it to resemble a Great Kiskadee.

The 'Boyd's" outhouse is wooden and I painted it red, white and blue.

Went to a ceramic shop and purchased a greenware cat - I cut a hole at the back end and had it fired. Painted the bisque to resemble a black cat. When I put this one out I had a crazy Mockingbird dive bombing it for a few minutes until I guess it realized it wasn't real. Crazy bird!

That same ceramic shop had a bisque egg for sale so I bought it and used my dremmel tool to make an entry hole. It required some elbow grease!!! So much easier to work with greenware than bisque! Painted it to resemble a large "Golden Egg"

The last one is a two story wooden bird house. I used wall paper to decorate the sides and painted the roof copper then added some green glass tiles as a decorative touch.

By the way I glued on a resin dollar store cardinal on the fence next to it...had what I believe was the same crazy Mockingbird trying to scare off the fake cardinal. There are several Mockingbirds that frequent my yard and have nests in my citrus trees.

I call that cat birdhouse and fake birds payback because when my dogs set off the outdoor security motion light in the back yard that Mockingbird starts to sing in the middle of the night!!! It stops once the light goes back off.

~ Cat

Thumbnail by TexasPuddyPrint Thumbnail by TexasPuddyPrint Thumbnail by TexasPuddyPrint Thumbnail by TexasPuddyPrint Thumbnail by TexasPuddyPrint
This thread has 8 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!