Something wrong here?

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Small concern with one of my "rescue" plants from the death rack at Lowe's. I've been ignoring my orchids for a week, (I did mist with rainwater most days, but that was it) and returned to find this little fellow's leaves turning sort of reddish.

It's been very sunny but cool the last week,and rained nicely on Tuesday morning. The plant has been sitting on top of a wire shelf unit that gets full sun for about half the day through the pool cage screen (reduces intensity about 20%) None of the other catts are doing this, and they've all had similar light and water.

No signs of bugs or fungal activity and the leaves are not shriveled. Could this just be coloration from too much sun, or should I be putting it in quarantine?

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks anyway, I think I got the answer on the other forum. Too much sun and magnesium deficiency. I gave everybody a generous "rain" with MSU solution this morning.

Interestingly, this is the first I've heard about giving extra magnesium to orchids! Helps them to stand up to colder weather, it seems, and also enhances blooming later! I've been using it on my brugmansias and other plants for years, but thought the extra salts would not be good. The soluble fert I have been using lists 1% magnesium component, but I have been reducing the frequency of fertilizing through the cold weather, so that is why I am seeing it now but have not seen this deficiency pop up so dramatically before. Making a note to boost the Mg in the fert mix for next winter.

Here's an excellent link I got from Ursula about it: http://www.staugorchidsociety.org/PDF/Alert-LeafReddeningColdExposure.pdf

This message was edited Mar 17, 2013 11:13 AM

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks Elaine. :-)
One could also look at the structure of Chlorophyll with its Magnesium in the center. If not enough Magnesium is present, the leaves can't manufacture enough Chlorophyll to keep the leaves green.

Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

OK, MSU? What is it.
Magnesium Sulfate what

This message was edited Mar 17, 2013 11:24 AM

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Right, of course. But still it begs a question as to why all the orchids don't do this, only a few. They're all getting pretty much the same fert, only the amount of light and water varies.This particular little catt went red quite suddenly.

Just a guess, but maybe some metabolize the fertilizer faster in cool weather than others?

Orchids sure are an endless challenge . ..

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

MSU is a fertilizer, actually now several, formulated at Michigan State University, thus the MSU name. I can't recall exactly when it first came on the market. I remember ordering it for the first time in the eighties. There is a lot of online information. Back then we didn't have options for non-urea fertilizers or fertilizers geared for epiphytic plants. I used to use concoctions based on advice from the American Orchid Society and orchid society friends. Some of the big growers I know have switched to Jack's (including Fuchs). There are labels, like Jack's, that have been bought and sold. I went back to using MSU after a couple of years of growing again but think the BetterGro did well for me and is fine for the average collection. I spray my orchids with epsom salts though not nearly as much as some growers I know.

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Huh. Does the MSU fertilizer have a high mag sulphate component? How often do you spray with the epsom salts, Laurel?

Like Ted, I thought the MSU stood for magnesium sulphate but that would be MgSo4 . . . chemists anyone?? Dontcha love Google.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I already said, Elaine. MSU stands for Michigan State University. As for chemists, Ursula is a chemist and I have a minor in biochem. I have a friend who is an environmental chemist and fabulous orchid grower. He specializes in unusual terrestrials. He uses epsom salts once every week or two. I use it around once a month. I say around, because I'm not very good about sticking to a regimen unless I start to see red. Google will explain the history and why MSU ferts became popular. They now have several formulations including ones developed for tap or RO water.

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Yes ma'am. I did read every word you wrote.

Will once again retreat to the other forum where I will not irritate you any more.

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

Settle down, everyone. This is a "fun" forum, not a debate. MSU could stand for a lot of things, including Mississippi State University, which is also a huge Ag and Engineering University. They have also formulated many fertilizers, seeds, and grasses, and have tons of patents on such things. Ken

Port Richey, FL(Zone 9a)

Hello everyone :) I wanted to ask about the Epsom salt. Do you make a mixture with the Epsom salt and water or do you sprinkle salt around the base? And if you make a mixture, do you spray directly on the leaves as well as the base?

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

I diluted it at the rate of 1 tablespoon epsom salts to a gallon of water. The first couple of times I doused the plants with that - let it pour over the leaves and through the pots.

Since then I've been adding it to my sprayer once a week or so to mist all the orchids with it. The plants really did green up very well after adding this to their regime.

Port Richey, FL(Zone 9a)

Cool, thanks Dyzzy!

Port Richey, FL(Zone 9a)

Hello everyone, I used the Epsom salt treatment and my orchids seem to be doing much better. Lots of new roots growing and also new leaves growing. Thanks guys!

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

I'm going to have to try the epson salts. I add them to potting mix for reg plants but never thought the Orchids might like it also.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

I just started mixing them into my weekly regimen. I'm glad to hear it's working well for you!

Melanie

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

I think it's made all the difference for my orchids. I have much more healthy growth, and many more flowers this spring than I've had in previous years.

A little caution, though. Some orchid fert has a little magnesium already in it, so maybe ease back to 1/2 tablespoon per gallon if your fert already has some. Read the trace elements on the label.

I got a real deficiency going on my plants last winter because I ease back on fertilizer when the weather gets cooler, so they were getting a little bit through the warm weather, and obviously not enough once it got cool.

The next big research is on silica . . . there's always something new to try!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.