Blooming at the Birmingham Botanical Gardens Last Weekend

Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

It was a cloudy day but we were anxious to get out of the house so we drove the hour to Birmingham last Saturday. It was a bit too early for the full spring extravaganza but beautiful nonetheless. The Lenten roses were beautiful and camellias as well. I was sad to see that one of the tornados we've been plagued with or maybe some straight line winds had seriously damaged the gorgeous greenhouse which was closed. But we enjoyed ourselves and I stopped in the garden shop there and found some treasures. Here are some photos. I wish the light had been better but we didn't get there until three since I had some garden tasks to tend. :)

Anyway---blooming in Birmingham on March 9---

Thumbnail by Cymbelina Thumbnail by Cymbelina Thumbnail by Cymbelina Thumbnail by Cymbelina Thumbnail by Cymbelina
Montgomery, AL(Zone 8a)

Cym, those are gorgeous. I have that place on my list to visit this spring. We're planning on going to Calloway this weekend.

The greenhouse there seems to have been closed forever. It was closed when I went there in December and from talking to another lady there is closed often. My friend here said she's been there 3 times and the greenhouse was only opened once. I just don't think they keep up on it. Glad to hear you had a good time. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Also, is the second one a pink star magnolia? It's so pretty.

This message was edited Apr 2, 2013 8:10 AM

Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

Thanks Gnome! I was at their annual plant sale last weekend but didn't get to the actual gardens which I am sure were more gorgeous. I think this next weekend will be stunning there. Yes, the pink flower was a star magnolia. I was also really impressed with how great the hellebores looked in mid-March. I'm going to get some for my garden.

I did get by Old Time Pottery and got some blueberries bushes and an Issai kiwi vine that were good size and a good price. But my husband said I went a little crazy on the garden gnomes that followed me home! :)

Susan

Montgomery, AL(Zone 8a)

I don't understand why people think we can responsible for those little guys when they jump in our shopping carts or our cars. I've had it happen to me multiple times and my fiance says the same thing. Then he has the gall to talk to me about how I'm acting all innocent! Sheesh, men.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.