Recommend a David Austin Rose variety

Alpharetta, GA

I live in Alpharetta Georgia and have planted quite a few knock-out roses but I'm interested in learning to work with some other varieties. I checked out the David Austin site but am overwhelmed. Are there any varieties that can deal with our heat? I noticed on variety I have that is not a knock-out but I don't know what kind it is... it doesn't do well until the weather starts cooling down in late August. I don't really have many areas of shade or afternoon shade. I'm open to any kind but it would be for a front yard in one of several flower beds. I like the shrub roses but again, am open to trying something new since I'm new to all this and just want to learn. The only kind I'm not keen on right now are the climbers as i don't really have anything for them to climb. Suggestions?

Swainsboro, GA(Zone 8b)

The Austin roses that have done best for me are Strawberry Hill, Darcey Bussell, Princess Alexandra of Kent (does fade a little in very hot weather), Glamis Castle, and Carding Mill. You may want to post your question on the Roses forum too for more response.

Alpharetta, GA

Thank you!

Ranburne, AL(Zone 7b)

These have done very well for me also . If anyone has any cuttings I would love to get my Rose garden started again..Porsha

Swainsboro, GA(Zone 8b)

Austin roses are not generally considered as low maintenance as KnockOuts. Some non-Austins that also do well here are Belinda's Dream, Valentine, and Easy Does It.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.