An entrance arbor made from a hodge-podge of found things...

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

My neighbors next door had a set of fence panels that had been attached around their porch to keep the dogs from tearing out the screens. When they took them off to glass enclose the porch they were going to throw them away and they still looked new! I quickly slid them behind my workshed on blocks where they sat for 6 months.

My friend Sue had two twin ladder like steel frames from something, and asked me if I wanted them, and I used them as cucumber trellis' the first year.

When I came across a batch of excellent 8ft. 4x4 posts another sat by the roadside for pick-up?!!!,... the idea came to my head that it was time to do something with those fench panels,... and with mostly leftover wood from past projects; this is what came of all that stuff.
The wire panels at the bottom are old small closet shelving for interest. I have Muscadines growing on it and the first picture shows how it looked in July 2012.

The last pictures show how it looks now after Winter as of a couple of days ago. Last Summer I added the stretched Polyrope bridge over the sidewalk stretching to the door arch. I hope to train the grapes over the walk and think it would be fun to have the grapes continue forward and shade the whole walk. If that happens I will eventually have to sink some posts and real framing down the walk for support. That could be fun too!

This message was edited Mar 12, 2013 1:31 PM

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand
This thread has 30 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!