need a recommendation for a tree replacementld

Alpharetta, GA

There is an old crape myrtle in front of my house in the middle of the flower bed. However, whomever lived here before me, butchered the limbs and now they just aren't strong enough to hold up the blooms. IT's been recommended that I replace it. I would like something that is pretty and flowering but low maintenance and not terribly tall... I pasted a picture of the dormant tree in the winter. I was thinking of a brandyine tree but then read it creates sap. I like either a bright majenta or a deep purple. I'm not crazy about while to light pink or even a pale lavendar.

Any suggestions or advice, including where I might go look for one? I live in Johns Creek, area code 30005.

Thanks

Thumbnail by jssmeltzer Thumbnail by jssmeltzer
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

A loropetalum might be for you. The flowers are magenta and it blooms right about now and again in late summer/fall. There are several cultivars that reach varying heights. The different cultivars have anything from green to bronze leaves so you get good landscape interest when the plant is not in bloom. It is actually a shrub that is easily trained into a tree form by limbing it up. We have one in our entrance planter that we maintain at about eight feet tall. They are available at any nursery or big box.Look for one that's alead been trained to a tree form or a tall one that can be limbed. They grow quickly so even a small one will make a nice specimen in a few years. We shape ours twice a year to maintain the height but it is otherwise care free.

Alpharetta, GA

Thank you! I didn't get notified of your reply or I would have said thanks sooner. I'll look into this suggestion.

Lula, GA

There are some really nice redbud hybrids that you can grow in sun out now. My DIL Sandy got one called Rising Sun. These are small trees reaching 20-25' and they grow slowly.

Woodstock, GA(Zone 7a)

This is lovely location for a japanese magnolia hybrid from the "little girl" series...Jane, Betty or Ann -- my favorite with 4" purple/pink spring flowers -- (Magnolia liliflora x M. Stellata). Jane has a larger 6", redder flowers; Betty is probably too large for that location, and the delicate Star is probably too small.

These deciduous magnolias flower in March or April and have an attractive structure even when leafless.

I love the idea of the redbud, but check the location for wind, as this can be an issue. A japenese maple would be another great choice for your location. Shop carefully for the right size and variety!

Lyn
Georgia Gardenscapes

Thumbnail by winterlyn
Alpharetta, GA

Quote from winterlyn :
This is lovely location for a japanese magnolia hybrid from the "little girl" series...Jane, Betty or Ann -- my favorite with 4" purple/pink spring flowers -- (Magnolia liliflora x M. Stellata). Jane has a larger 6", redder flowers; Betty is probably too large for that location, and the delicate Star is probably too small.

These deciduous magnolias flower in March or April and have an attractive structure even when leafless.

I love the idea of the redbud, but check the location for wind, as this can be an issue. A japenese maple would be another great choice for your location. Shop carefully for the right size and variety!

Lyn
Georgia Gardenscapes

Oh that's beautiful... I like that idea....

Thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.