Theophrastus (372-287 BC)
(11 votes, 12%)
Red dot

Pliny the elder (23-79 AD)
(2 votes, 2%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

When you have a question like this, you need a choice of "I don't know". :)

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

I will consider myself right because I picked Linnaeus. I was thinking of "Modern Systematic Botany"--yeah, that's it!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I pretty much never know, not with the technical questions, so I go with the WAG. I'm an electrical engineer and software engineer, no formal training in the botany area, so WAG it is. Oh, and I got it totally wrong as usual. The Linnaeus question made me think of Charlie Brown. Kudos to those who knew.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

I Googled it and Theophrastus seemed to be the most common answer so that's what I voted.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I asked my daughter who earned an A studying botany in college & she didn't know. I'm clueless. A very good question. : )

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Who knows these things?????

Lake Helen, FL

Probably botany was first practiced by root-gatherers and medicine women long before we were modern humans, but botanical taxonomy as we think of it was first instituted by Linnaeus. I admit, however, to a deep reverence for Liberty Hyde Bailey.

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

Even the "Father of Botany" was subservient to "Mother Nature."

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

It wasn't who I thought. ;)

Nineveh, NY(Zone 5a)

I was just reading about this man! yeah, got one right!

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Missed it! I thought it was Linnaeus, but wasn't sure since he did the systemic naming of all living things, not just plants. Never would have gotten Theophrastus though!

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Congrats, momoftwo! I never even heard of the guy. I didn't vote, but I had to know the answer.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

God.

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

Good guess, Gymgirl.

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

I like her answer best!

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

For me it was the date and the Formal name soaked in Latin endings. Am gonna have to reread the question wording. Linnaeus my ans. Lore taught mother to daughter from the dawn of fire WASN'T an offered ans tho...

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I think Gymgirl got it!!!

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Eden...first field study...trees, fruits...crawly things...

Croydon, Australia(Zone 9a)

Just being a horticulturalist you should know
Evolution = Darwin

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

God is for sure the answer Gymgirl!!

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

Perhaps it would be prudential to note the phrasing of the question leads one to answer logically with epistemic modality rather than a doxastic modality?

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

I chose to rely on epistemic modality, thus Linneaus.....and I do believe that using doxastic modality the answer would have been Adam. grin

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I agree with the first post . Would guess for the oldest choice available , eh you know> Things have changed and updated since then...

Sacramento, CA

My1st post-knew it was Linneaus-wrong! Never heard of Theo..., I will check him out.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.