Comfrey in the garden

Batesburg, SC(Zone 8a)

I live in SC, zone 7B. I have had comfrey growing now for 2 years. This year, I see no shoots coming up. I am not sure if this is normal, as I would have thought with all of the rain and warm sunshine, something would be peeking out of the winter mulch cover.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Comfrey grows like a weed in the PNW. Mine gets huge to the point I have to start with the 'ring of death' in early spring - I toss a cut-off plant rim over the emerging plant and dig out anything that is beyond its allotted 16" spread. It grows very quickly and the bees absolutely mob the flowers. Then it all suddenly flops to the ground at which point I cut it back to about 3" and the cycle starts anew. I think I got about 3-4 flushes of growth/flowering last season. It also makes a very nutritious compost, particularly for tomatoes.

Thumbnail by bonehead
Batesburg, SC(Zone 8a)

Well, I will be surprised if it died. The other 3 haven't started growing yet either.

Cutlerville, MI

What do you use Comfrey for? I would love to grow some. The flower & foliage are wonderful! Do you know where I could purchase some, or would anyone trade for some?
Thank you!
Alicia

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Comfrey is used as a healing herb- nickname, knitbone. Can be lethal if misused. pretty flower...

Cutlerville, MI

Kittriana,
Thank you so much for your info! I am going to Google it too:)

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

I would also be surprised if your comfrey has died Moxies_garden. I suspect with patience you will soon see the new growth.

The comfrey leaves can be used to make a compost tea to water plants. The leaves are rich in potassium.
Or the leaves can be dried a bit first and turn into the soil to benefit it. The roots of comfrey tend to draw nutrients to the plant and to the surface soil.

For medicinal use, it is recommended for external use only, either as a salve or a compress. When used internally it has been known to cause liver damage.

I haven't found mine to be too agressive here. Mine also doesn't reproduce by seed, only root division or runners. I believe it is Bocking.

Batesburg, SC(Zone 8a)

I checked them again today. Nice warm and sunny day, 79*. I have 3 plants, and none of them are sprouting anything. They had leaves up until January, then they died. The leaves. The roots should still be okay though.
I am growing comfrey to try to learn the medicinal uses of the plant. This is the first time I have been able to grow any herbs at all.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

getting water?

Batesburg, SC(Zone 8a)

They have had plenty of rain the last few weeks, over 3" I think.

Cutlerville, MI

You all have such good info. Thank you for sharing! I hope Moxie , that you do have some sprout yet!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

My comfrey also seems kind of wimpy- considering its reputation for world domination. There some little leaves showing.
moxie- anything?

I weeded in the garden and threw all the flowering weeds( deadnettle and bittercress) around the comfrey. I figured the comfrey leaves will cover and choke anything that sprouts from those weeds, the comfrey leaves I can harvest for nitrogen and potassium without seeds.

Batesburg, SC(Zone 8a)

sallyg- I looked today when I was outside. Nothing. Not a peep, or little green leaf anywhere. :( They've done great for the 2 years I have had them! They were growing up until December. Then, they died back. Do they need to go dormant for any length of time?

I really don't know I've had it for 3-4 years. Last year when it came up it seemed weak and pathetic compared to the years before. I don't think there is a 'minimum time of dormancy' thing with it.

Batesburg, SC(Zone 8a)

From what I have read, there isn't. I guess I need to do some more reading.

Burns, OR

Where is the best place to order some comfrey in the PNW? I am in SE Oregon and would like to get some to put in my yard. Do you do anything to contain it? Is it terribly invasive or easy to control?

Batesburg, SC(Zone 8a)

I think they are finally coming up!! Woo Hoo!! I guess they just needed to die off the top growth and go dormant for a few weeks of wintertime.

phew!
Mine are waking up nicely now; we had a couple very warm days last week, and then some rain.

Batesburg, SC(Zone 8a)

I am glad it came up finally. Now I am waiting on the rhubarb. I am trying to grow an herb garden, but some things are iffy in this zone. And, I have never had the chance till recently to try to grow one.

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

mine are up, just for a week maybe!! I use mine in my compost too it heats it up better kickstarts the whole process. I use it in soaps and lotions too and occasionally in my tea.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Funny how our microclimates vary. I'm on the west coast but in about the same zone as Moxie. My comfrey is getting ready to flower for the first round. I get blooms followed by a total collapse of the plant at which time I cut it back to 6" and it regrows to bloom again, usually 2-3 rotations per season. Here's full bloom from last year mid-May.

Thumbnail by bonehead
Batesburg, SC(Zone 8a)

Wow, bonehead, yours gets WAY bigger than my plants did. Maybe they prefer your climate better. We are hot and muggy here, with sometimes dry going on.

Fort Lawn, SC

Moxie-- I'm in Fort Lawn Sc on water-- mine is in sun and has taken over the bed I have to take it out I think and give it its own border cuz it is so crazy. Up and flowering in April. zone 7b or 8a

Batesburg, SC(Zone 8a)

Update- all of my comfrey plants have died. Nothing came up this year. It had full sun, good drainage and amended soil. I really didn't think it would die. So soon too. Maybe the 2012 drought and then the 2013 over abundant rainfall did it in.

weird, moxie!
Mine was surprisingly bad last year but is taking off big this year. We had a very wet winter and spring. I cannot explain.

One is blooming big already and I should be cutting it and fertiliizing with it, just been too busy planting to do so. I like to take my crappy weeds and tuck them under the big comfrey leaves, let the weeds rot, and feed the comfrey.

Batesburg, SC(Zone 8a)

I really had hopes for the comfrey. So many things we have planted on this one little acre have not survived. And we do not know why. It did fantastic the first year. Half okay the second year. It was in full sun, and part sheltered being planted by the house. I guess I'll need to locate it in some other spot if I manage to find more to plant.

Fort Lawn, SC

Moxie-- same zone as you in SC-- I did have one year that it died too. I kept looking and found one plant behind the compost bin so I dug that one up and moved it-- now that plant has spread everywhere--I'm planning to dig it up when it gets a little cooler and move them out of the bed they are in cuz its smothering everything else. I have heard it is very good for the soil--brings up nutrients so I may leave the leaves to compost right where it was. Mary

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.