Need a good seed potato source

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Anybody know of a good on line source? I'd like to try out some fingerling varieties this year !

Thanks

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

http://www.potatogarden.com/

The "Potato Garden" is where most on Dave's Garden purchase seed potatoes...

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Thanks

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Couple dollars a pound seems awful high for seed potatoes. Up in this neck of the woods you can buy them at any super market, feed store or garden center for about 39¢ a pound. That would be for certified seed.
You can also save them from your own garden. Just keep cool. They may look wrinkled, but will grow.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Same here.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I buy from a farmer. He raises certified Cascade potatoes. A lot of his production is sent to the west coast. They are shipped loose in semi trailers.They raise those potatoes there, then send them back this way to be sold in grocery stores.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

They are more then .39 here but I just couldn't pay the shipping on potatoes, it seems crazy to me. IMHO

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

What's the diff in buying potatos at the gro store and planting them and buying seed potatoes. Someone suggested I buy some fingerling potatos at the grocery store.

Talihina, OK

Kathy ann is there an Atwoods Farm abd Ranch store near to you they had the fingerlings at Poteau as did walmart seems like there is one in Mena $.69 heh heh they were Minn. certified seed potatos

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Regular potatoes most likely won't grow. They are treated so they don't sprout.
Maybe if they are organic you would be okay.

Durhamville, NY(Zone 5b)

I've grown potatoes from store bought potatoes. While I think they do treat the potatoes to retard sprouting, you put them in the conditions that are right for them to sprout and they will. If you doubt it by one and plant it in some moist soil

The main difference between certified seed potato and you generic food potato is that supposedly the seed potato has less disease with it and thus will out yield none seed potato. The problem I see is that seed potato is so expensive that it would have to be a big gain in yield.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

with as many as we want to plant, my husband doesn't want to chance it with grocery store potatos, it's a big waste of time and money if they don't grow, I'd rather get the seed potatos, they've done well for us in the past. i've not heard of atwoods. they must be further away than I'd want to travel.

If you found what works for you and you can pick them up that's great. I was just shocked when I saw how much shipping was but they do weigh a lot. If your looking for fingerlings, and they aren't sold in your area, then there isn't much choice but to buy them online. Good Luck !

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I haven't found any fingerling potatos locally. I'd have to pay that rediculous shipping on them too lol

Homegrown potatoes taste so good tho. People that haven't tried them think I'm nuts until they try them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.